OT- Government is not a 'free-lunch'

On 16 May 2004 16:04:31 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@krl.org (Dan Caster) vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Roads, police, health? Really?

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick

On Mon, 17 May 2004 02:17:11 GMT, Clark Magnuson vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Why would you want to buy a gun a week and try building some rifles anything like what is covered by the '89 Bush Ban or the "94 Assault Weapons Ban?

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick

Those who are currently retired are the ones who politically supported the wealth transfer programs when they were being formulated and implemented. So it seems fair that they suffer the consequences of their folly now rather than foisting it onto future generations.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

On Mon, 17 May 2004 04:33:10 -0400, Gary Coffman vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Does that not assume that all political parties will not carry out wealth transfer programmes"?

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick

The post was a troll. Especially so since you've been around here before and *know* that anything having to do with taxes and government is *the* hot-button, even more so than gunner's trolls.

Granted it generated a lot of interesting chat, but still an inflamatory post. This should not be construed as a put-down by any means - most of the regulars here engage in creative trolling more or less.

Jim

jim rozen

You mean you *can't*?

If it weren't for the fact that wal-mar is open till 11, I'd have nothing to shoot in my .22 on the weekends.

Jim

jim rozen

Why does everyone not just drive Honda Civics?

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

What is a troll? This thread is marked "OT" and is not cross posted.

There is always the question, is the stimulus irritating, or are you irritable? Between two individuals, it is all about history, the context. But in an unmoderated pubic forum, you must own your own tendency to be distracted.

More on topic would be, what am I doing typing this, when ENCO has free shipping this month?

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

See my post to him. I think it covers the subject.

Jim

jim rozen

Jim was talking about federal entitlement programs as Social Security and Medicare. Not all government programs, and the ones you mention are mostly state and city programs.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

I guess whether or not this post was a troll is left to the reader to decide. I personally found the information rather enlightening and thought all would agree that the current status of our countries indebtedness would be somewhat a cause for concern. I did not intend to cause a heated debate about the cause of our countries woes or the manner in which it should be addressed, but I did believe that most would find the articles an interesting read. To think that a group so diverse as rec.crafts.metalworking could come to an agreement as to the action to take to correct the problem would be naive at best bordering the absurd.

If you look at the definition of a "Troll" as posted via Usernet.com it states in part,

  1. Trolls generate an intelligence drain, meaning that when a troll creates havoc in a newsgroup, all discussions will become less intelligent and less useful to all other participants. When things get heated, people concentrate on flaming and flaming only.
  2. Some more examples of trolling is that trolls tend to post extremely long messages, in which the original words that they seem to reply to, are misinterpreted, pulled out of context or simply ignored. Since they only use a serious subject to hide their true intent (which is trolling), they tend to be impervious to reason."

My intent was neither. Respectfully, JLZ

Reply to
Jesse Zufall

Nor had I taken any offense at it. I would say I mis-used the term 'troll' in my post. I apologize for this.

As I said, entitlement programs, and the taxes associate with them, are a hot-button issue on this ng.

Jim

jim rozen

Yeah, so it wouldn't work unless those who are receiving the benefits of wealth transfer programs are barred from voting. That would remove the incentive for political parties to pander. Since that's not likely to happen, the whole idea is an academic exercise.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

I agree with you. But those who politically supported Social Security when it was implemented are probably dead. They would have had to be at least 21 in about 1936. Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster

Non-citizens, like Ahmed Chalabi, on the other hand...

Al Moore

Reply to
Alan Moore