OT: gunsight

A DPMS 308 (AP4 this time) just followed me home. Third time that's happened now. This one has no sights.

I'm looking for a nice low light sight and would love one of these:

I bought an inexpensive red dot from Cabellas for a .223 that followed me home this spring. It works but its not very durable. I got sticker shock on the Trijicon ACOG, more than the rifle.

Can anyone suggest something like this with a bit better price?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm partial to the Docter Sight style devices. There are several folks making clones, including the Chinese army. The Docters are pretty well built, but I just bought a Burris for about half the money, and it appears to be OK.

Note that Trijicon sells them, but they mark them up a bit.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Guys...

What would be a good short distance (30 yards max), low light sight?

I am not looking for infrared, just something that can function in low light (not pitch black) condition.

Ignoramus30461

Eotech. Does use batteries, but you have the choice of 2 x AA or the CR-123's. Claims 5-6 hundred hours life with CR-123's, AA's, I have read claims in the thousands.

BTW, CR-123's are available in rechargeables.

Just a BIT less proud of them than Trijicon:)

gary

Reply to
vrgolf

Eotech.

Does use batteries, but you have the choice of 2 x AA or the CR-123's. Claims 5-6 hundred hours life with CR-123's, AA's, I have read claims in the thousands.

BTW, CR-123's are available in rechargeables.

Just a BIT less proud of them than Trijicon:)

gary

Reply to
vrgolf

Sigh....such fun toys are illegal in California. Not that there arent a bunch of them buried and hidden...but....whimper......

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

I'm sure you've never owned and fired one

Say, IMHO, the .308 AR style rifle is vastly superior to .223 if you're restricted to semi-auto. There's just so much more range and knock down power plus more accurate. If you go to something like the AP4 the additional weight is negligible for handling. I'm obviously in the minority based on number of sales. I'm curious, which caliber to you prefer and why?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Karl Townsend fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

30-06 Springfield, because I can put a round in a teacup with iron sights at 400 yards, in almost any wind shy of a hurricane.

(and, because I LOVE my fully-original 1903-A3 )

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

You're WAY more skilled than me.

This rifle is a great choice for shooting paper or a deer. for personal defense, I'd like something with a larger clip, higher rate of fire, and lighter.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Moi? In California? Perish the thought!!!

:)

I greatly prefer the 7.62x51

Im not a big fan of the 5.56..not at all.

I rather like the FN-FALs...at one time...owning a STG58 but oddly enough..it disappeared when the California Assault Weapons ban came into effect.

Id own a M1A..but...they are a bit pricy. So I have to use bolt actions in that caliber and others better suited to long range shooting.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

That gives me more comfort in my decision.

I'll take a serious look for an STG58 at the next few gun shows. I've read about them but never held one in my hand.

I've settled on the DPMS as my favorite, in no small part because they are all made 20 miles from my house and I know a few people that work there.

FWIW, in the case of my DPMS rifles at least, the .308 chamber is identical to 7.62 despite the minor spec differences. I did some serious measuring to see if the brass would be interchangable after firing.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Hence my

They are to all extents..interchangable. Port pressures are something to keep in mind if handloading.

Seriously. Never push pressures like you can in a bolt action. Evernever.

Keep your pressure in the range of the 7.62x51 and you will have no problems.

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn everything you love, and kill every one of you. (Hebrew quote)

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Karl Townsend fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yeah... I just like it for putting big holes in things a long way away; like deer or feral dogs and cayotes.

{personal defense? For home, a 12ga pump, short barrel. For carry, anything larger than .38 cal, and holding about nine shots, in semi-auto D/A, qualifies nicely. MOST perps don't wear body armor, and if they do, a forehead shot works nicely}

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh