OT: interesting exchange at the post office

We have our mail held at the post office when we're at the lake, pick it up and have service resume when we return. We do this at the
"carrier annex", which is a different building than the main post office. The customer rings a bell, a USPS employee within eventually opens a locked door over a chest-high counter. The employee this time was a woman I think also works the retail counter at the P.O. some days.
They always want to see ID, but she wanted me to remove my driver's license from my wallet and hand it to her. So I did. She took it with her, presumably so she'd remember the name and address. When she returned with my mail, I noticed that she was sorta looking at my wallet which was open on the counter. I keep my permit to carry behind my driver's license because they're linked -- the permit is only valid with corroborating photo ID in MN. It's illegal even for permit holders to enter a post office armed, so I smiled and said, "I'm not carrying any weapons in your post office today." I really wasn't. I'd left the .38 in the car. She grinned right back, said "doesn't matter to me, I support the second amendment".

I went to the local library the other day. I walked up to the door and turned around and walked back to the van. I walked back to the door and entered. The lady behind the counter by the door smiled and said "Had to go back to your car to leave your pistol?" "It happens every day, we should allow guns in the library!" Living in the country sure is GREAT!!! There's a big corn field right next to the library.
Buerste wrote:

Here in Texas, public libraries are OK to carry.
Yeah but that's in TX. We sorta like the idea in cafererias also.
Bob Swinney

Here in Texas, public libraries are OK to carry.

And Mr. Gaddis Pizza - which I thought was out of business and threw out my forever free refill mug!
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Ohio has some goofy carry laws. Like you can't carry your firearm into a interstate rest stop. ( Most state and county buildings are placarded as no carry zones)
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 16:37:36 -0400, Wes

Nevada really sucks. The gun must be locked in a glove compartment, not sure what you do if there is no lock on it. And the ammo locked in the trun, hard to do in a pickup. Oh, and it changes from area to area within the Vegas Valley. What I would love to know is how you are to drive from one end of the US to the other and be totally legal. You'd have to stop at every line and change placement and who knows what else on the side of the road. But in Vegas you can walk down the sidewalk with a visible holstered gun, bet you have to walk from your door to your door. Or lock it and the ammo in different locations in the car. That would look great out in public, flashing around a cannon and loading it with 15 people watching. Best thing I like most about cross county trips being unarmed and in strange places.
SW

What size cannon are you refering to?
37mm or bigger?
20mikemike?
"

I guess you might need a small limber to make it easier to handle without a team. Sidewalks and steps could be a pain though.
Would "concealed" count as throwing a coat over it?
:-)
Mark Rand RTFM

I was just saying a large gun that many people would see from a distance. I would think there would be calls from people thinking they are about to do something instead of just following the law.
SW

Oh..large gun like...perhaps a shotgun on a sling or maybe a Garand carried in patrol position?
I take it you have never been to say...Aridzona? Where LOADS of people carry sidearms openly. Banks, grocery stores, etc etc. I had a very nice chat with a little bity good looking lady last time I was in Aridzona, standing in the line at Wells Fargo bank. She was carrying a fullsized 1911 (as I was), was very neatly dressed in business attire and was very attractive. I was in jeans, sport shirt and Bauer holster tucked up high on the right side. She was carrying in a crossdraw rig, may have been sharkskin. I know a third guy was carrying, but he was about 3 back in the line and I was trying to make time with her. Shrug.
So you think that everyone nuts up when they see someone carrying a sidearm? They might indeed if they are standing in a anti-gun area. Fortunately...most of America is not that way.
And since the concealed carry laws have been opened up to over 45 states...you dont have a clue to how many people are carrying..and are all around you.
<G>
Which is a very good thing indeed.
Gunner
"

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/region/oakland_county/gun-advocates-plan-protest-over-right-to-carry-firearms-at-arts%2C-beats-%26-eats-festival

I have to agree with the objectors on this one. Those who would feel at risk at a festival are certainly free to avoid it. Those who do wish to carry and can legally do so can certainly carry discretely, in a way that is invisible to and hence not upsetting to others.
There are situations where "just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right." I'm not saying that anyone's second amendment rights should be infringed upon, but I am saying that those who invoke such rights certainly could respect the sensibilities of others rather than making an in-your-face swaggerwide spectacle of themselves. Not being an asshole need not render one defenseless.
To demand respect of one's rights without reciprocal respect for others' discomfort is hypocritical, even if there's no amendment defending discomfort and downright fear due to unfamiliarity and prejudice. Getting along cuts both ways.
If the norm in AZ is open carry then doing so is unremarkable there. Royal Oak MI is a very long way from Arizona.

A very fair assessment, Don.....

    I was walking back through the neighborhood, and was greeted by one of my neighbors. Walked up his drive, and is friend said "I was trying to figure out what you had on your hip - a gun or something?" (its a Cell phone, etc pouch) and I said "I lived too long in Seattle, I got the CPL so I don't frighten the 'children', generally don't open carry."     "Oh" was all he said
--
pyotr filipivich

Your missing the point all together. You can't or couldn't before in a car. So, how did you get to your destination? Walk from home? Bikes are OK? The point is that there are conflicting laws.
Never mind.
SW

I cant what? Carry a gun? Walk around with a gun?
I do that every day.
Very legally.
And I dont carry a cannon.
Just a .45
And I live in California.
Gunner
"

Good thing she didn't 'go postal' on you, you being unarmed and all.
-Frank
--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.sharpbywarner.com