OT -- Kirby Vacuum Cleaner Fan Removal

I'm trying to resplace the fan blade (impeller) an a Kirby G4 vacuum. I have removed the retaining motor shaft extension, but I'm having trouble getting the old broken fan from the shaft.

Anybody have an suggestions, other than tying to spit the plastic fan to remove it from the shaft?

Just as background, wife managed to accidently suck up a penny from the floor while using it with the extension hose attachment. The penny was sucked into the plastic fan and did a very efficient job of trashing it.

Thanks for any help.

Harry C.

Reply to
hhc314

Fab up (or buy) some kind of three finger puller or ask a Kirby repairman how it is done. Be prepared for sticker shock for new one. I need just two small plastic caps or a brush roller on a Kirby. Can't buy them. Gotta buy the whole assembly for 39 bux. The vac was free.

Reply to
daniel peterman

Might be a left handed thread.... Lots of them are. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Look at how the impeller would have to rotate to move air the correct direction, screw off same direction.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

G4 is newer than mine. Do you have the replacement impeller yet? If not, I'd wait until you can inspect the new one to determine how it is mounted.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

On ours, the metal impeller just threads on the motor shaft. A rap with a screwdriver handle usually gets it loose. It may be a left hand thread.

Yeah, this is why I really don't like the through-the-fan design. They make a horrible shop-vac for this reason. I'm always picking thread and hair out of the works, and a penny or small screw can trash even the metal impellers. (I never actually use a Kirby as a shop vac, but my kids sometimes try to vacuum their messy rooms or cars with it.)

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson