OT: local economy survey (Walmart)

My question to the group, ==>if you have a local Wal-mart, does the level of stock and selection seem to be significantly lower than in the past,

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

From 2006:

And they bungled it.

In early July I wet in to buy a short-sleeved shirt and found that they already replaced summer with fall clothing.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The problem is that Wal~Mart changed their ordering methods somewhat. Until 3 years ago ALL ordering was done from corporate. The stores managers only dealt with the local produce and specific regional items. This was changed so that store managers could order amounts and brands that they wished (based on in store sales records). At the same time Wal~Mart switched warehousing and shipping around some as well.

As a result you have stores that cut WAY back on stock because the managers don't want to ship back what didn't sell.

They have also trimmed the lines they carry based on overall sales records.

Reply to
Steve W.

Yes, quite common, in fact.

And yes, more so than in the past.

There is, first level, the amount of profit per foot of shelf space. That might push things off of the shelves.

But this looks more like dumping what's left in the pipeline along with the dregs in warehouses.

My question was - who is buying FOR Walmart? Is Bentonville still in control of he company?

I would describe it as not just lower quality, but wrong "world". Third world stuff? Kitchenware especially.

Quality is not an option. Not anymore any way...

Reply to
Richard

Oh yes it is!!! Thanks to online buying. People are buying quality online, and thats the future considering how lazy we are as a species. I just bought motor oil online, because you can only get the best oil online. Weird to buy oil online.

Reply to
vinny

On 11/2/2013 4:28 AM, vinny wrote: ...

What could you get online not available locally???

Reply to
dpb

Thanks for the feedback and insight.

FWIW -- for people looking for quality cook ware at a reasonable price, I have been extremely pleased with the Optia line by Vollrath, who is a big commercial supplier. All stainless, induction ready, and has a heavy heat defuser disk on the bottom. While not presentation grade, it looks better than anything else I have in my kitchen, and in residential use will last for my great grand nieces and nephews to use. Wasserstrom and Webstaurant are major Vollrath dealers and are easy to deal with. I have bought from and recommend both. Vollrath

Wasserstrom
alternate Vollrath web vendor

F. George McDuffee

Cheap Zenni Optical eye glasses. And some specialty repair parts. For example, I wanted a SO-230 to motorola male adapter, so and RatShack no longer had them. Online, several places.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

amsoil synthetic oil.

25000 mile oil. I plan to get 50000 lol.
Reply to
vinny

My local Walmart has always had empty shelves. It always amazed me that THIS is supposed to be the king of retail and half the shelves are empty or only a few items on it? Dog food isle was always the worst. 2 or 3 cans of alpo. (each flavor, maybe 12 total) I go to the Giant now, they usually have a 20 cans for $13.00 sale, and the shelf is full. I just grab 20 cans of Filet Mignon and I'm on my way. My dogs will not eat the chicken and get sick on the lamb and rice. Any beef flavor seems to work.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

I was in there about 6 months ago to buy some motor oil and I thought about maybe buying some blue jeans....but it was as though someone had intentionally mixed together 2000 pairs and then randomly stacked them all into the the various bins, completely disregarding size, brand, style and price....

Needless to say, I left in disgust after paying for the oil and haven't been back since.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

"PrecisionmachinisT" wrote in message news:GZCdnQtkNt6i9ufPnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@scnresearch.com...

I was about to complain to the manager about that when I realized it increased the chance that the last pair in my size hadn't been taken.

At least their jeans don't fall apart as fst as they did 5-10 years ago. I think they abandoned that 100% Cotton feelgood marketing BS and returned to the more durable polyester blend. Why do we cry that people are hungry while diverting farmland to inedible crops? jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

While not widely appreciated, for the first time in human existence, the aggregate problem is not the lack of supply/production, but rather the lack of money to pay for the food (and transportation). Indeed, one of the growing problems is a glut of food production caused by a lack of paying customers. This problem is expected to only get worse as the manic growth of mega urban areas continues to accelerate.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I don't know Jim, but I'm pretty sure that polyester doesn't exactly come without some sort of price, either.

Personally, I dislike it because it doesn't breathe and seems to get sticky when it's wet or humid out, but maybe that's just me...

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

I don't know Jim, but I'm pretty sure that polyester doesn't exactly come without some sort of price, either.

Personally, I dislike it because it doesn't breathe and seems to get sticky when it's wet or humid out, but maybe that's just me...

========================== The current blend is 80% cotton, 20% polyester. I can't distinguish it from 100% cotton by feel, but it dries with less wrinkling on the clothesline. When I was making camping equipment I found that a hot enough iron sets the pleats in a cotton-poly blend, like Perma-Press. jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On 11/6/2013 10:39 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote: ...

A) Polyester wears faster than cotton--the difference is the quality and weight of the denim, not the poly content.

B) Because people need clothing and other products, too, maybe? Not to mention that not all crops can be grown on all ground.

Reply to
dpb

Though it typically knee-jerk faults the western powers, most of the blame actually belongs on the local dictator and his cronies and strongmen who force the farmers to plant cash crops like cotton and skim the profits.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Got me wondering so I looked -- since ~1970 cotton production acreage in the US has been essentially constant at 13M A +/- about 30%. The last 3 yr have averaged about 12.5M A, just under the 40-yr average.

'08-'09 were nearly historic lows of

Reply to
dpb

Nonsense, mostly...the alternative crops would be even less productive.

Farming w/o a profit motive is gardening and won't feed the world.

The biggest problem in many places is the local infrastructure has never been developed to allow for anything but subsistence farming. That is generally again the fault of local political systems, not outside for the last 50 yr or so...

Reply to
dpb

The Wiki provides more light and less heat than the fringe-left polemic I chose first, which substantially *is* hate-and-blame nonsense but did outline the issue succinctly:

Notice the complaint that the global price of grain and milk is too LOW.

"Marijuana remains the largest cash crop in America despite law enforcement spending an estimated $20 billion annually to pursue efforts to outlaw the plant."

!!!

Reply to
Jim Wilkins