OT: Mac Newsgroup Reader Suggestions Sought

Hi all,

I upgraded to the new Mac OSX 'Mavericks', and it broke my beloved old newsgroup reader, MT-Newswatcher.

Anyway, wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for a good free reader other than Thunderbird.

Thanks in advance!

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Well ... I don't run anything that new on my token Mac, but since it is unix under the hood, check whether someone has ported slrn to it. Quite powerful scoring/killfile, runs on pretty much any unix, but it may require you to activate the optional X11 to run it, unless someone has ported the GUI side of it to OS-X's GUI -- quite different from X11.

Or -- since it runs in the standard Xterms in unix X11, it may well run in "Terminal" under OS-X.

A quick search for SLRN and OS-X found this (among other things):

and it says:

====================================================================== NOTE: You can also build slrn on your Mac using the Fink package manager with the follwing command (without the quotes): "fink install slrn". ======================================================================

"Also" implying that you can build it directly without fink, but it might be easier with fink. (And it does have a "universal binary" from December 10th 2008 -- so if the upgrade has not broken the OS for this, it will probably work for you.

It will run with fairly simple configuration -- but if you want, there is a configuration file which can tune almost *everything* about it, well documented in the file -- you mostly just turn things on or off. But there are a *ton* of things which you can adjust if you wish.

I use it on Sun's Solaris 10 OS, so I should be able to bring it up on the OS-X system as well. I've just downloaded it, but I'm away from the Mac Mini, so I can't yet try it. (And the Mac Mini is powered down, so I can't even try it remotely. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols