OT: Maybe the primer shortage is easing

Just got my almost daily spam mail from Midway USA. After passing on the item they are pushing, I searched for primers. Damn, small pistol is available along with rifle stuff for 31 bucks. 31 is still high but beats the 40 or so I've seen at recent gun shows.

I'm wondering if the price of components will drop steadily as we come to the mid terms?

Please don't tell me Goldman Sachs had a position on primer futures ;)

Wes

Reply to
Wes

LOL I think the hedge funds are have shorted Afghanistan,Wes. They are buying up 2015 opium contracts like crazy!

Reply to
John R. Carroll

On the other hand, wheel weights are impossible to find, all the tire companies have contracts with battery suppliers. And, wheel weights are getting away from usable alloys. I've gone through 90 lbs so far this year and have had to resort to eBay and such for lead. I've been seeing spotty availability of primers and powder and I was at the right place at the right time and bought 20,000 Wolf primers online for $23/k. They are a bit hard and a bit big but they always go bang.

I rubber-banded a small aquarium pump to my powder hopper and it now delivers very consistent dumps of flake powder in small charges in the 2.3 grain range. I have my .38 and .45 target loads dialed into one ragged hole. Now, I can work my 9mm load with flake powder reliably.

Reply to
Buerste

At 23/K I'd give them a try for practice loads. Self defense stuff, I buy golden sabres and replace them every couple years.

You using the pump as a shaker?

I'm thinking that when I get back into serious casting again, I'll just order

500# or so of hard casting alloy from rotometals and mine my backstop periodically.

Wes

Wes

Rotometals isn't cheap! Wheel weight alloy that is quenched is close to that hardness and half the price. Yes, the pump vibrates the hopper enough to get good flow of flake powder. Ball powder meters well but in small charges it burns dirty and is position sensitive. What calibers do you want to load?

Reply to
Buerste

I have north of 20 centerfire bullet molds. Then there are the minnie, round ball and maxi ball molds. Don't ask me how many calibres I can reload, like guns, I've lost track of that number a long time ago.

Wes

Wes

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:52:08 -0400, Wes wrote the following:

Where do you find the copper jackets with polymer tips (to pour the molden lead into) Wes?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Keep up the good work and someday you might make it into the big league.

Gunner, 53 centerfire moulds...18 BP moulds and 3 under development

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

If you really want to make jacketed bullets you should look at Corbin.

Wes

Wes

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 05:39:35 -0400, Wes wrote the following:

Ogive me a break. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just playing the straight man. ;)

Reply to
Wes

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:49:05 -0400, Wes wrote the following:

Sorry, I had never heard the term "ogive" before so I used it in a fun and unique way ! Over your head, too? ;)

Refers to the nose shape of the bullet. The radius of the curve of a bullet nose.

Anywho, thanks for the Corbin link.

Reply to
Larry Jaques