Corsair salmon pink primer

Some early F4U-1 "birdcage" Corsairs used a weird salmon pink primer colour in the wheel bays and other interior areas. Did any other aircraft use this colour of primer?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

This is interesting...read through to the bottom -

Rufus

You're right. That *was* interesting. Thank you for the link.

I've just mixed up a batch of this colour. By coincidence, I did exactly what they mentioned in that article. I mixed red with a yellow zinc chromate colour - in this case Humbrol acrylics 81 and 174.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

My first thought was that the "pink" might have been a simple white-wash over a red lead type primer...but then I did a quick Google and found this.

Bookmarked for future reference!

Reply to
Rufus

An interesting true story- I worked at McDonnell Douglas in St. Louis for 17 years. At one time I was building a homebuilt aircraft and belonged to local chapter of EAA. One of the members who either worked in receiving inspection, or had a friend who did, found that Mac receiving had rejected a shipment of spray cans of zinc chromate primer because it was off-color. The shipment- at least a dozen boxes each containing two dozen cans, ended up at a local salvage store. We all hurried over to the store and bought a number of cans each. Mac had a spec on the color, and bounced it even though it would still protect fine.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

...sounds familiar...

...and I'm STILL trying to figure out why GM once thought painting Corvettes "F-15 Interior Green" was a "good" idea...one more reason they're bankrupt today, IMO.

Reply to
Rufus

Sounds like something that happened in my past. When I was in the Marine Corps, one of my sargeants bought a one-ton Dodge truck on military surplus ($200.00!). When he took it back to the Philadelphia Navy Yard to get a tag to allow him to take it to the barracks, the head of Yard Security raised holy hell about him driving an Army vehicle (it was still in OD with white stars on the doors and hood). So, he went to Vic Potemkin (right across the street from our duty station at the Quartermaster headquarters) and asked about a paint job. The head of the repainting shop (himself a former Marine) mentioned that they had a shipment of Corvette yellow that had been improperly mixed and was several shades too light (hence it had been rejected) that the sarge could have for a dollar a gallon. So the sarge got his truck repainted for about $150.00. I was riding in the back when he drove it back to the base about a week or so later. The look on that guard's face - priceless!

Reply to
The Old Man

i bought a flightline van at the nuclear test site. they had a gsa sale. all i had to do was paint over the white lettering. they gave me a brush and a can of af blue to make sure it was done before i left the site. still have it. it's the best camper, moving van and bike hauler ever. it cost me $151.

Reply to
someone