FAA Corsair Rockets

Were any FAA F4U Corsairs (-1A/-1D) equipped to carry rockets. If so, what types - British or US. Also, if appropriate, any ideas where I can find details or pictures of the relevant launching racks.

TIA

John E

Reply to
John E

I believe that only the F4U-1D was equipped to carry rockets. The equivalent designation in FAA service was Corsair IV. As far as I am aware, both the Corsair and Hellcat in FAA service used standard US ordnance. They didn't use racks, in the manner that RAF Typhoons and Mosquitos did. There were simply a series of launching stubs. Have a look at this page:

One of the photos shows the stubs very clearly.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

I wonder if they made use of these during attacks on the Tirpitz in mid-1944.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

As far as I am aware the aircraft used in that attack were MkIIs, which were the equivalent of the F4U-1A and so didn't carry rocket projectiles. In any event, the Corsairs, Hellcats, Wildcats and Seafires were employed as fighter cover and what would these days be called BARCAP and SEAD. The actual strikes were carried out by Barracudas.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Thanks for that. I too had the info on the Barracudas, but wasn't sure about the fighters. Good to have been enlightened on that score.

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug