Brass porthole frames on warships

I just got a Photo etch set for the Russian battleship Borodino (battle fo Tsushima-1905).

The set includes porthole frames, and says they were left unpainted on ships of the period. Now, the graphic on the instruction sheet shows the ship in wartime colors.

I know ships of dawn of twentieth century were often painted in an attractive white and buff color, and I can see those ships with lots of unpainted brass.

But I am painting ship in wartime very dark grey. It seems unlikely to me that the brass would have been left unpainted with such a paint scheme. what do folks think?

Reply to
Don Stauffer

IIRC, the Russians weren't painted grey at Tsushima - the Japanese were, but the Russians were still wearing hi-viz black/yellow, white/ yellow or even black/white/yellow. Probably pretty stained by the time they got to Tsushima, but you can't rule out repainting during the layover in Cam Rahn Bay. Photos of the only "Borodino" to survive Tsushima, Orel (Oryol), after the action show her as (faded) black with yellow funnels - and a lot of damage!

Regards,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

Don Stauffer wrote: : : The set includes porthole frames, and says they were left unpainted on : ships of the period. Now, the graphic on the instruction sheet shows : the ship in wartime colors. : Paint them. I doubt the brass would have been left unpainted, so that a stray glint could give away the ships position in the night, and under the theory that the crews had enough to do with out polishing the brass every day.

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Burden

are those online? love to see them.

Reply to
someone

Yes, the plans say paint it black. But nothing stays a true black in sunlight for very long, so I am painting it a very dark grey. I have a couple of illustrations and they both show a dark weathered grey. I guess I should have said black/grey.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Photos of the only "Borodino" to survive

Just do a Google image search for "battleship Orel" - there's about four of her after Tsushima, but they're scattered around. There's also some stuff that isn't he!r

Regards,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

I'd go with that, and also there's the scaling effect - I hate black uniforms on wargame figures. Panzer grey with a black wash and a few drybrushed highlights seems to work. There also appears to be salt- staining near the waterline on "Orel". But to go back to your original query - the brightwork on "Orel" appears to have been overpainted.

Regards,

Moramarth

Reply to
Moramarth

tanks

Reply to
someone

Thanks. I have omitted the PE frames altogether. The cast frames are good enough. I am drilling them out and Microglazing them, however.

Reply to
Don Stauffer