Ancient Warships

While thumbing through some old copies of Airfix Magazine [1972 etc] I saw several articles on building models of ancient Egyptian and Philistine warships. Kind of neat, but the drawings provided are all waterline - for war gamers, I guess. I became kind of interested in what they would look like below the waterline. Would anyone have any photos..... :-) - I guess what I'm looking for a site that would have some drawings of the full hull. Any suggestions. I tried a Google and found a few artists drawings that will help if all else fails.

Thanks all. cheers - Jim.

Reply to
Jim

Try:

Google for "trireme" for lots more sites.

Reply to
MGFoster

******* Many thanks MG. The above sites are excellent and all book marked. A Google for 'trireme' images resulted in about 1000 sites. Now that'll take me awhile to row through. The word 'trireme' never entered into my thoughts - I guess you have to know what to look for. I appreciate you taking the time to get me the information. Cheers - Jim.
Reply to
Jim

doesn't Zvezda (sp?) make kits of the ships he mentioned?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

******* Now that would be neat. However, I do kind of have 1/48th scale in mind..... Any ideas on what that company produces. Web site?

As far as I can figure out, so far, these things would be around 75 feet long in real life so that gets up to about 20 inches in 48th scale. The original article proposed building quite small, non specific scale models so you could push a fleet of them around on the living room floor during a war game. I'll try to track down 'Zvezda' and see what they have....... although 48th scale would be a real stroke of luck.

Thanks Chris - much appreciated. Maybe it would also be possible to get a smaller kit and use it as a guide to a larger model. Cheers - Jim.

Reply to
Jim

I think that Atlantic used to make some ancient ships but they were in HO. You can check at http:

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.