Christmas came early...

I had to go to my Mom's house to help her out this afternoon with a "rodent" problem. For several days (and nights) my Mom has been hearing
a "scratching noise" in her attic above her bedroom. I went over to investigate with my son -- safety in numbers you know -- and while I was poking around in the attic I stumbled across a box.
At first this seemed like any other box you would find in an attic with old books, photo albums, etc. But this box was a little different. This box had over three years worth of "Model Rocketry" magazines stuffed inside from November 1968 to January/February 1972!
What is even more interesting is that I have almost two of every issue from January 1971 to January/February 1972. The issues were all mailed to my home address but there are two distinctly different labels (different type font and layout). I wonder why I would have gotten two copies during that time period?
Also, does anyone know/remember if you had to be a member of NAR to get the "Model Rocketry" magazine? One of the labels just has my name and address but the other label has the number "9730" in the far left corner with the letter "R" underneath. Do you think that could be my old NAR number? If so I would love to get that number back -- please let me know your thoughts.
Bruce Sexton NAR #79345 L2
For awhile, if you were a NAR member, the NAR mailed you the magazine.
perhapes you had a subscription to MRN, and then joined the NAR, and they sent it to you as well ?

I have an old MRN with the nar number on the label, I would have to say that is your old nar number.
make a copy of the cover/lable and fax to NAR hq with a request to get it back.
that is how I got my old one back.
yea, that's probably your NAR # and yea, you probably ordered a subscription and joined NAR.
If you've got a good scanner you need to scan the issues from September 1971 to JanFeb 72, and send the scans to Sven at Ninfinger.org. sknudson<at>austin.rr.com
Roy nar12605

1971
ABSOLUTELY!
If you don't have a scanner, find someone that does or try at work but it would be greatly appreciated by your fellow rocketeers if you would do that.
Randy www.vernarockets.com
My daughter happens to be getting a scanner for Christmas -- now I'll have something to "test" to see if it works...

roy:
I did this recently (past month) for Sven and sent him a cdrom with the issues in questions as .pdf witheach individual page as a .jpg... he should be posting them as he has time to. thanks to Harry S. in Dallas for providing them for me to scan.
shockie B)

Cool! So AlMax, you're off the hook!
Roy nar12605

OOPS, I meant Bruce.

You mean "Would you mind scanning the issues from September 1971 to JanFeb 72", don't you? BTW Bruce, would you mind?
No, sometimes you got to put your foot down to get anything done! Save the niceties for the congrats!
Roy (slave driver)

I believe Shockie posted that he has already scanned those issues and sent them on their merry way...

-------------------- Nice find!
I wonder though....did you and your son sit down and read every page, and did you find the source of the 'scratching' noise?
--
K Cornelius

Never did find the source of the "scratching noise" -- no signs of chewing, nesting or anything else. I did however put out a few traps...
As to the reading, that is what I'm doing right now -- what a "blast from the past".

chewing,
My mom had a similar problem last year. It was a squirrel storing acorns in the insulation.
Randy www.vernarockets.com
Upon further inspection it looks like they may have cut too close to the left edge of the mailing labels. I was a "JR" member at that time and upon closer inspection I found one label that has part of a "J" and it looks like the number "1" might be to the left of my NAR number. Also, there was a single number at the bottom left of the label that looks like it might have been two digits (the year I was born). So what would make more sense -- an NAR number of 9730 or 19730 in the year 1971?

like
have
19730 would be just about right.
I joined in 70 as 16158..
shockie B)

Marie at NAR headquarters has re-issued my membership card with my old NAR number -- 19730. Thanks for everyone's input!

I checked into this. I was under the impression that they had no records of old membership numbers prior to computerizing in the mid 80s. Turns out there is an old paper record, but it's in numerical order. So they can't search it for your name, but if you do know your old number, they can verify it.