VFD's seen

I was at Mendelson's recently and saw they had a pile of VFD's.

Here's all I know about them:

AC Eagle WE8202 {and others}

And I can't find the price in my notes. Call and ask. It's

it's family run, and BTW, is housed in Charles Kettering's old factory.

Reply to
David Lesher

Which building? They own a lot of real estate. The building at 340 W 1st Street was a plumbing supply company when they bought it. The older building at 516 Linden Avenue was next to train tracks, and more suited to manufacturing. They were in that building in the '60s & '70s. I made a lot of visits to both sites in the 20 years I did business with them.

They also owned some old NCR cash register buildings when i left Ohio in the '80s. They both the remaining inventory of mechanical register parts, along with the buildings.

As far as a family business, It was started by 'Sandy' Mendelson's dad. His wife ran it when he died, and the sons fought like cats & dogs. It wasn't unusual for the three of them to go into the office and close the door before the screaming started. I don't remeber ever seeing the other brother after them moved from Linden Ave. to 1st Street.

I suppose the surplus shop over Byrd's coin shop long gone? Mike Byrd was the owner.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The eBay website that he referenced <

> shows this address at the bottom: MENDELSON'S LIQUIDATION OUTLET =96 MECI

340 East First Street Dayton OH 45402 Is this one of the buildings that you recognize?
Reply to
Denis G.

Yes, that is the building they were in when I left Ohio. It is a full city block, six full stories. The seventh story only covers half a block. That was the plumbing supply place, and I don't think it was old enough to have been used by Kettering. The construction looked to be W.W. II or later.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell