Testing servos/Drives

I would like to get some clear idea on how to test components of what I build.

Say, just a servo: can I test it by connecting a small DC power supply to + and - cables and gradually increasing voltage? I should see it run, right?

Or, a servo with amplifier: give amplifier power and apply small voltage to the +/-10v command input. Then it should move the servo motor. Right?

Ignoramus8975

start with this:

lot more good stuff on this site. everything you ever wanted to know about servo motors

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

Yes, based on it having two leads, it's just a DC motor.

The AMC amps have an offset adjustment on the command input that make it easy to run the motor without an external command.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

BTW, with no feedback or load, the motor may behavior may be unpredictale if the amp is set for current (torque) mode.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Yes, awesome, I figured out the inhibit concept, it is great. I can inhibit movement beyond limit switch, but still pull in other direction.

Ignoramus8975

You mean just testing the motor? Yes, a DC supply or a D cell will work.

If the servo amp has available +/- 15 V output, you can connect a pot across those outputs and wire the + command input to the pot's wiper. Make sure the pot is centered before enabling the servo amp.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

If you are talking about the dc motor that will work. Depending on the voltage you need, a dc welder can be a good source of power to test high current dc motors.

Sure. You can make a battery box to provide an adjustable 0-9 vdc command signal by attaching a 9 volt battery to a 10K linear taper potentiometer.

Rather than use a number of words describing it, I'll just link a picture of a voltage divider.

Wes

Reply to
Wes