milliput onto grey primer ok ?

Will milliput epoxy putty (UK modeller) take to grey Halfords primer or does it react in time ? Will my nicely feathered edge with it do something I wish it hadn't ? Steve

Reply to
Steve

UK modeller as well.

I use Milliput and I use Halford's primer. I've done the primer on top of the Milliput and I've done the Milliput on top of the primer. I have never had any problems with either.

However, I *would* recommend that you prime the Milliput. The one time I sprayed onto unprimed Milliput, the different texture of the cured putty compared to primed plastic showed up very clearly indeed.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Ditto. What Enzo said, plus remember that Milliput is essentially epoxy and so will stick like sh** to anything you care to apply it to. Including...er... whatever you *didn't* want it to stick to. Never did that myself. Somebody told me. I'll get me coat.

flak monkey

LOL I've never done that either! ;-)

One of the big advantages with Milliput is that is is water soluble. So, you can fill a joint or crack and then smooth it down with a wet finger or a wet Q-tip or whatever. Of course the dissolved and displaced putty then relocates elsewhere on the model and unless you clean it off immediately, it can cause problems later on.

Or so I've been told!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Absolutely right. And only a complete buffoon would have a problem with anything as simple as that. Erm... moving swiftly on...

flak monkey

Wonderful news, fill/spray/study/rub/spray/study/more rub/ no removal of paint, no gnashing of teeth, excellent news. Thats worth knowing on the milliput, saved me finding out on my first model the hard way. Debate on to prime or not to prime has now a reason to prime along with sussing filled areas etc and joints. Steve

immediately,

Reply to
Steve

buy me a pint?

Reply to
someone

There's two bright sides to this. First, it's very easy to clean off the excess putty: just hold it under the tap and wipe with fingers. Second, even if it does manage to stay where it shouldn't, it is typically no more that some surface haze that comes off easily.

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Does anyone know a a material that will stick where it's wanted and not where it isn't? In my experience, even the best materials tend to display exactly the opposite characteristic..

Rob

Reply to
Rob van Riel

Reply to
Steve

I have painted over with Precision enamels quite happily - converting Airfix

2D TSOs to 2E by cutting out a toilet window and moving to the other side, used Milliput to fill the gaps, then sprayed grey and blue, then transfers for the white line.

Done 4 so far as the Western region had mainly 2E few 2D and quite a few 2F (Limas 2Fs crude compared to Airfix 2D)

Reply to
Martin

Just so every one knows, Martin is talking about British railway coaches.

And for those who think that the Bf-109 has lots of different versions, it can't hold a candle to the BR Mk2 coach!

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

So there's a 2Z model?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.