Milliput Question

just tossed my unused 5+ year old stuff. Hard as rocks.

Not sure what its supposed to feel like when I buy a replacement box. The store nearest me has the stuff but do not know how often they move their inventory. Would rather not buy old stuff. So what do the sticks feel like when new? soft and squeezable? Like a Tootsie roll ?

thx - Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

"Tootsie roll" is a good indicator of the density. One stick will be slightly denser than the other. Sometimes a crust will form on the outside, but the inner part will remain mixable. I have heard reports from others that it is possible to revive dried out Milliputt sticks by immersing the stick in water, but have never tried it myself. That said, the dense, doughy quality of Milliputt does not necessarily make it the best epoxy putty for sculpting and modeling. Consider other other types like Apoxie Sculpt (much softer, almost a gel, but it stiffens to a sculptable consistency as it starts to set). Other brands are more like chewing gum (notably the blue/yellow ribbon type-- you snip off a length and knead it until it's a uniform yellow). This type is good for very sharp, detailed sculpting. Each has its place, but I find I rarely use Milliputt itself anymore. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Gerald Owens

Thx for the option. I need to use it on several large scale recast nude figures. not the best seams at the arms and legs. Need something that is really going to be smooth at the end, A better putty for this purpose?

thx - Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

As I said, Aves Apoxie Sculpt is very soft when freshly mixed, becoming progressively firmer as it sets (in latter stages of curing, it can be rolled out to form scale tarpaulins, for example). Magic Sculpt is a similar product. Milliputt Superfine White is dense from the start, and can be used for figure sculpting, though it should be smoothed out with a wet tool or fingertip to get rid of the graininess. Kneadatite is the the blue/yellow ribbon-type of epoxy, and has a consistency more like chewing gum, ideal for sculpting small, sharp details, like adding a patch pocket with a button to a uniform. Many sculptors will do basic modeling of a figure with the softer dough or gel type epoxies, then add finer detail with the Kneadatite. A quick web search will direct you to sources for these products (Aves will sell directly to the consumer). Just experiment until you find a brand that you like. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Gerald Owens

It all depends on which type you buy.

Reply to
Richard Brooks

The afor-mentioned Apoxie Sculpt or Apoxie Paste or even Apoxie Clay

Each one has a different stiffness when mixed - the Clay being the stiffest - a little easier than Milliput to work - the Sculpt is a bit looser and the Paste is about the consistancy of Vasoline when mixed

Best thing about all the Aves products is that once set, they are easily filed/sanded - just like regular styrene

Since finding Aves products, I've tossed all my Milliput, Squadron and Testors filling products in the trash

Reply to
Old-Techie

Still using Milliput here - I get the white ('fine') stuff and havent had any problems with it (yet, that's in the last couple of decades). So far I have found that a good re-mixing restores the puttly like qualities, but small really had bits occassionally need to be separated out (dont get many of those though).

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith