OT-Michael Moore digs himself a deeper hole

.

>Michael Moore digs himself a deeper hole > > > > September 24, 2003 > > Michael Moore digs himself a deeper hole > > By Stephen Gowans > > I was wondering how filmmaker Michael Moore would react to the avalanche of >criticism, outrage, and shock set off by his paean to retired General Wesley >Clark, the ex-Supreme Commander of NATO forces in Europe, who's thrown his hat >into the ring for the Democratic Party's presidential nomination. > > Moore had written friends and fans, urging them to pressure Clark ? a man >the filmmaker says is antiwar, pro-choice, pro-affirmative action, and opposed >to Bush's tax cuts -- to bid for the nomination. > > What Moore left out of his missive was that Clark -- a career soldier who >had fought in Vietnam -- led NATO's 78-day air war on Yugoslavia, an illegal >affair from start to finish, that saw the NATO commander order his bombers to >destroy roads, bridges, factories, petrochemical plants, electrical power >stations, telephone switching equipment, a radio-TV building and an embassy, in >defiance of articles of war prohibiting the targeting of civilian >infrastructure. > > Hundreds, if not thousands of civilians were killed by Clark's bombs, >missiles and cluster bombs, and many more were permanently disabled, in a >campaign that Human Rights Watch (not known for going hard on Americans) >condemned for grave breaches of humanitarian law. > > Clark ? the man Moore says is against war -- is a war criminal. > > That, and other deplorable episodes from Clark's pro-war past (including >British General Michael Jackson's revelation that Clark almost touched off >world war three by pressing Jackson to order British paratroops to clash with >Russian soldiers at Pristina) didn't, however, escape the attention of many of >Moore's fans. Some were left dumbfounded by the filmmaker's warm words for a >principal figure in one of the most egregious recent instances of US >imperialism run amuck. > > When FAIR, the media watchdog, dug up Clark's pro-war newspaper columns, >Moore looked stupid. When Clark said he wouldn't cancel Bush's tax-cuts, Moore >looked dumber still. And when Clark said he probably would have voted for the >war on Iraq, Moore looked like a man who had been bamboozled, or was in the >bamboozling business himself. > > There was no question the filmmaker had dug himself a deep hole. The only >question was, how was he going to get out of it? Would he say nothing, and >pretend the whole thing hadn't happened, hoping that, after a time, everyone >would forget? Would he say, I've learned when you make a bone-headed move, the >best thing to do is fess-up? Or would he simply dig himself a bigger hole? > > Turns out he's reached for the shovel. > > In a letter dated September 23rd, Moore dances around the issue of his >supporting a war criminal, taking 13 paragraphs to finally get around to >addressing what's on everyone's minds. What's up with the Clark love-in? > > It then takes Moore 11 paragraphs to tie himself into knots of illogic, as >he flings dirt pile after dirt pile from a hole that gets deeper and deeper. > > Here's what he has to say: > > It's true that as commander of NATO forces, Clark led a bombing campaign >that killed civilians, and it bothers Moore to this day that civilians were >bombed. But it wasn't Clark's fault. If President Clinton and Defense Secretary >Cohen had let Clark use ground troops (as Clark recommended), there would have >been fewer civilian casualties, Moore argues. > > Problem is, they didn't. And still Clark ordered his bombers to target >civilian infrastructure. It doesn't matter what Clark wanted to do. What >matters is what Clark did do. (And did Clark want to deploy ground troops to >minimize civilian casualties, or to achieve the war's objective -- to drive >Milosevic's forces out of Kosovo? I'd say Clark was more concerned about >military objectives than minimizing civilian casualties.) > > Even so, if Clark had his way on ground troops, would that have made the >war any less illegal or any less a war of aggression? And would Clark have been >any less a principal figure in the exercise of American imperialism on >steroids? > > And what of Moore -- did the Kosovo war itself, apart from the civilian >casualties, bother him? It doesn't look like it. Moore defends Clark as a man >who recommended the right ? that is, civilian casualty limiting ? tactics, >without uttering a word of disgust for the whole sordid exercise, or Clark's >role in it. In this, he's like Clark: Not opposed to war so much as opposed to >wars that aren't carried out the way he would carry them out. > > And Moore says Clark needed to "stop Milosevic's genocide of the people in >Kosovo." Moore should know there never was a genocide, and at the time, he >challenged the claim. I recall him ridiculing a NATO propaganda exercise >involving before and after satellite photographs. Look, in this photo the >ground is undisturbed, NATO spin doctors said. But in this photo, taken hours >later, there are signs of a disturbance. Could mass graves have been dug here? >We were supposed to answer the question with a resounding yes. > > But Moore, exercising a skepticism that seems to have melted away with the >first kind words he received from Clark, asked pointedly: If they can take >pictures before the graves are dug, and pictures after, why can't they take >pictures during? > > Perhaps Moore has a short memory. The original charges against Milosevic in >connection with Kosovo, brought by the NATO controlled tribunal at The Hague, >concern incidents, with one exception, that happened after the bombing began. >And the number of deaths in those incidents is in the hundreds, not hundreds of >thousands and not even tens of thousands. The one pre-bombing incident, the >Racak massacre, involved fewer than 50 deaths, most, if not all of which, it >now seems, were KLA guerillas. So how could there have been a genocide in >progress if the bulk of the charges against Milosevic ? involving only >hundreds of deaths ? happened after Clark ordered his bombers to take out >bridges, roads, factories, power plants and other civilian targets? > > In the months following Clark's destruction of a country, forensic >pathologists roved widely over Kosovo, to document the genocide NATO assured >them had happened. They left in disgust, complaining they had been deceived by >NATO's war propaganda. Rather than finding mass graves containing tens of >thousands of bodies, they found a few thousand bodies, most buried >individually, the kind of low-level carnage that attends a civil war, but >hardly amounts to genocide. Before there were weapons of mass destruction that >couldn't be found, there was a genocide that couldn't be found. > > (This is true and I recall the news never followed up on the mass graves in >KOSOVO because it was all BS. From the Hun bayoneting French babies to Iraqis >stealing Kuwati incubators to WMD, when will stupid Americans wake up? Snipe) > > Still, Moore seems to have decided that reviving tall tales about genocide >that even NATO won't back up any more, will help his case. And the motivation >seems to be to polish up the reputation of a war criminal and hit man for >American imperialism, so that he ? Moore ? doesn't seem like such a dumb >ass or fraud (take your pick) for taking a shine to him. > > The next step Moore takes as Clark's unofficial spin doctor is to brush >Kosovo aside as water under the bridge. "The war we are in NOW is not called >Kosovo," he thunders, "but Iraq." > > "If we have a former general, who may have done some things that some of us >don't like ? but he is now offering to be an advocate for peace ? why would >any of us want to reject this?" > > "May" have done some things, that "some" of us don't like? There's no >question about what Clark may or may not have done. The facts are plain. And >Moore's point about Clark doing things "some" of us don't like," raises the >tantalizing question: Is Moore among those who don't like what Clark did? These >days, one would be inclined to say he's not. And what makes a general a better >advocate for peace than anyone else? > > Moreover, it's doubtful Clark has turned into an advocate for peace. Even >Moore points out that Clark's problem with the Iraq war is that it doesn't >follow the Powell doctrine, that is, it doesn't have an exit strategy. Clark's >expressing reservations about the war isn't advocating for peace; it's >advocating for the Powell doctrine. Moore seems to have mistaken a difference >of opinion over military strategy, with advocacy for peace. > > The filmmaker's last shot at defending a war criminal is to invoke the >biblical, "Let he who is free from sin, cast the first stone." They all have >blood on their hands, Moore says, referring to Clark's rivals for the >Democratic nomination. Kerry does ("he killed people in Vietnam.") Kucinich >does (he once voted "for laws restricting a women's right to an abortion, >potentially forcing women back to the alley and, for many of them, to certain >death.") And Dean does, too (he was in favor of war on Afghanistan and would >execute people on death row.) > > Incidentally, we learn earlier in the letter that Moore isn't opposed to >capital punishment either. In the filmmaker's view, the state's taking of life >is all right if "the problem of potentially executing the innocent can be >solved." Well let's see. Since there's no doubt Clark is a war criminal, and >that the blood of hundreds, if not thousands of Serb civilians is on his hands, >shouldn't Clark, if we follow Moore's reasoning, be headed for the execution >chamber, not the White House? After all, in Clark's case, there's no risk of >executing the innocent. Oh, but I forgot -- that Kosovo thing is all behind us. >And all the candidates have blood on their hands. It's quite a sign of Moore's >desperation ? and it's grotesque to boot ? that he should put Clark's >ordering bombers to target civilian infrastructure on the same moral plane as >Kucinich once voting against abortion rights. > > What's most troubling about Moore ? apart from his ignorance, his silly >arguments, and his unrequited love for the Democratic Party ? is his failure >to grasp the enormity of who Clark is, what he has done, and what he has >participated in. There seems to be an unshakable belief, residing deep in the >filmmaker's soul, that Americans have the right -- no, the obligation -- to >meddle in the affairs of others, that unspeakable crimes are beyond the >capability of Americans, (especially Democrats), and that monsters, thugs and >brutes live half way around the world, in countries the US must takeover and >control, but not at home, and certainly not in the Democratic Party. > > What's more, Moore's distaste for Republicans, and his "any Democrat but >Bush" attitude is dumbfounding, not so much because it clashes violently with >his belief, loudly trumpeted in the last election, that the Democrats and >Republicans are the same, but because the Democrats and Republicans, on matters >of foreign policy, are the same. Exactly what is Moore's trouble with Bush's >wars, that doesn't, in the end, boil down to a difference over tactics? > > He seems completely untroubled by Washington having waged a war of >aggression on Yugoslavia (apart from the civilian casualties that bother him to >this day.) So how is he any less pro-war, pro-imperial and anti-international >law, than Bush? Neither Bush, nor it seems, Moore, is especially bothered by >the US waging wars of aggression and neither regard UN sanction for war as >essential. (Compare Kosovo and Iraq. On these grounds, they're no different.) >Trampling international law is also all right. (Again, no difference between >Kosovo and Iraq.) And neither is particularly troubled by the deliberate >destruction of civilian infrastructure. (War crimes were carried out as >unreservedly by Clark as by Bush's commanders.) What's more, neither have any >qualms about telling tall tales (in Moore's case, about mass graves that never >existed, and in Bush's case, about weapons of mass destruction that don't >exist) to justify war to advance the United States imperialist goals. > > Except for mostly non-economic differences on domestic policy ? >affirmative action, a moratorium on capital punishment, abortion rights ? >Moore, the die-hard Democrat, affirms what he argued so vigorously four years >ago. Democrats aren't really all that different from Republicans, after all. > > ... > > > > > >Let there be no more Generals for president >of the United States. Let there only be men of peace and >not war. It is time to put war, and all things warlike, >behind us. It is time to beat our swords into >ploughshares and spears into pruning hooks. >It is time to dedicate ourselves and the honor of >this great nation to the peace and brotherhood >dreamed of by our forebears. >Then God truly will bless us! > >JO > >----------------------------------------------------------- >Learn about rec.guns at

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

Reply to
Gunner

If the hole's deep enough, build a small structure over it and put it to use...

Jon

Reply to
Jon Anderson