OT:Minneapolis

Vacationing in the Minneapolis area this month, and looking for ideas on where or where not to stay and what to see? Wife already has plans for Mall of America, I'm interested in historical, technical or outdoor stuff.

Reply to
ff

stay off their bridges.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Very good. Any other advice?

Reply to
ff

If you are going to be in town on or after 13-Sept-2008 one exhibition that I think would have great appeal for metalworkers (think Gateway Arch in St. Louis) would be the Eero Saarinen exhibition ('Shaping The Future') that is being hosted at both the Minneapolis Institute of Arts

and the Walker Arts Center
. Other venues that spring to mind:

Mill City Museum in Minneapolis-

Museum in Saint Paul-
(closed until Sept 12) Minnesota History Museum in Saint Paul-
Finally, the StarTribune owned site
is currently bringing back 1223 things to do for the current month-

Cheers-

Reply to
News Reader

The Science Museum in St. Paul might appeal to you. Minnehaha falls and park can be neat on a nice September day. That isn't far from Fort Snelling which may have tours, don't know.

Como Park (St. Paul) is my wife's favorite place in the cities -- and she grew up here! Conservatory, zoo, carousel.

Some parts of the Mississippi thru St. Paul are surprisingly wild with eagles, egrets, etc. A paddleboat ride can be a lot of fun on a nice day. September weather can be spectacular. The avg high is 70 or so thru the end of Sept. Evenings can be nippy.

Don Foreman

You might be interested in the St. Paul waterfront, just south of the downtown area (north of river). Lots of barge traffic there, and a nice park to watch them from. You can get right up to the docking area and get a close look at them.

Also, a couple of the locks have visiter centers, like the one in downtown Minneapolis near the west end of the stone arch bridge.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Thanks for all the suggestions and links, especially the riverboat ride.

Fred

Reply to
ff

The Minneapolis/St Paul area is full of stuff to see!

Here are a few attractions that we have found interesting:

Bakken Mueseum of Medical Electricity. (Sorta like that stuff from a Frankenstien movie, but for real) Historical Science and Technology Medical Devices at The Bakken Museum There are 18 artifact categories at The Bakken Museum in Minneapolis MInnesota. We have roughly 2500 artifacts relating to the role of electricity in life.

Radio History Museum. Several hours of roaming around the building looking at exhibits of interest to electronic types. Pavek Museum of Broadcasting One of the largest collections of antique radio, television, and broadcast equipment.

American-Swedish Institute. An interesting tour an almost palace-like building in downtown Mpls. The American Swedish Institute Founded in 1929 by Swan J. Turnblad. An historic museum in Minneapolis offering a variety of programs designed to celebrate Swedish culture. Founded in 1929.

Guild of Metalsmith annual Blacksmith conference in Hastings, MN, just south of Mpls. Go to

for details.

Pete Stanaitis

---------------------------

ff wrote:

Reply to
spaco

In Shakopee there is A place called The Landing. It was called Murphy's Landing at one time. They have A recreation of A MN village of the

1840-1880 time period.

Our new bridge is due to open soon. Perhaps as soon as the end of Sept. Worth A look.

Like radio? Try the Pavek Museum of Broadcasting in St. Louis Park.

How about fire fighting equipment? The Bill and Bonnie Daniels Firefighters Hall and Museum 664 22nd Av. n.e. MPLS.

Trains? The Minnesota Transportation Museum. 193 Pennsylvania Av. St.Paul

651/228-0263 Just blocks away from the state capitol building.

Go to exploreminnesota.com for more things to do.

Welcome to my state and I hope your stay is enjoyable.

H.R.

Reply to
harleyron