OT: Mythbusters Last Night

Anyone catch the episode last night about Civil War Confederate rockets, where Carrie 'made' some guncotton? What a joke. The methods shown and lack of purification would be guaranteed to blow her pretty face off. JR dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North

Although I really enjoy the show, they do seem to stretch things quite often, after all, this is TV. One of my favorite episodes was where they were removing hardened concrete from inside a concrete truck with dynamite. They loaded the truck up with what seemed to be half a ton of some kind of explosive and Jamie seemed shocked when the truck practically vaporized. Gee what did you expect!!

42
Reply to
42

JR North fired this volley in news:lNWdnUOKgevB5NnanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com:

Nah... they just didn't nitrate it fully. I was appalled at how unreactive it was.

Even un-neutralized - simply washed - nitrocellulose will last a few days to a few weeks in storage, if it's thoroughly dried.

There's nothing about improperly neutralized NC that makes it more explosive than the correctly made kind.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Reply to
JR North

JR North fired this volley in news:AoCdnYqrnNmYGtnanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com:

Where did you ever get that idea? Guncotton is pure nitrated cellulose - nothing else - without all the additives and burn rate modifiers that smokeless powders contain. Guncotton IS nitrocellulose, and is the feedstock to all smokeless powder production, and many paint and lacquer processes.

When folks talk about "nitrocellulose lacquer" they're describing a solution of guncotton in acetone or ethyl ether, along with several other solvents and drying rate modifiers, plasticizers, gloss makers/inhibitors, and colorants.

I purchase and use commercial guncotton as well as commercial smokeless powders. I have made guncotton (properly), and understand the chemistry and properties of the material. It's part of how I make a living. (BTW, making it yourself is not worth the trouble or expense.)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The vaporized truck was intentional. That was the first truck they used (the one that they screwed up on and had a half load of concrete in it that hardened).

The earlier part of the show had them try 1/4 stick of TNT then a full stick. They showed that the full stick did loosen up the concrete.

Reply to
Steve W.

Maybe you missed the part where they admit to NOT showing all the processes when they make explosive materials. That way the shows lawyers are happy.

Reply to
Steve W.

Pretty face?.......Yikes

Reply to
castvee8

I have seen blasting caps used to remove the hardened cement but dynamite is a little too agressive. :)

John

Reply to
john

The old mine where they do some of this stuff is about 15 miles down the hill. The Mixer blast rattled a few windows.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

LLoyd, for a man who claims to have working knowledge of using and making nitrated cellulose, you are amazingly imprecise in your definitions. Of course, I did not mean to imply that guncotton is not a nitrated cellulose product. That's not what I meant. Nitrated cellulose is defined by different names, which denote it's nitrogen content. As I understand it: Pyroxylin, or pyrocellulose >having a nitrogen content of 8-11%, soluable in ether/alcohol Nitrocellulose >having a nitrogen content of 11.5-12.5%, soluable in ether/alcohol Guncotton >having a nitrogen content of 12.5-13.75, insoluable in ether/alcohol

No > JR North fired this volley in

Reply to
JR North

Reply to
JR North

The common reaction from people who are not familiar with explosives or who have seen them detonated before is similar. Most people are awe struck, as it is something that they never get to see. The concussion is totally unfamiliar.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"High velocity shock wave" is more accurate . When I was a teen we watched an operation that was blasting for limestone . It was on the mountainside above town (Wasatch Face about 100 miles north of SLC) , and it was awesome . Whole side of the mountain (well , a pretty big chunk !!) jumped straight up . About a second later we felt the shock wave , then a couple more seconds for the sound . Got to set off a few 'splosions myself a few years later . Sometimes I miss my job at the rocket motor factory ...

Reply to
Snag

Snag wrote in article ...

Maybe....if you hadn't set off those explosions.....you would still have your job at the rocket motor factory

Reply to
*

Just as easy to set the drum rotating, then hit it all over on the outside with a soft hammer. Does the job very simply.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

JR North fired this volley in news:d9qdnU_HoLNUVtnanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@seanet.com:

You need to get out of the cellar more often. Hercules calls their feedstock "guncotton" AND "nitrocellulose lint". You pick.

Seein' how I run through roughly a ton-and-a-half of their products each year, I'd run afoul of their ordering system pretty quickly if I didn't have _their_ catalog names at hand.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh