OT: New GAO Report on Taxes

A new report came out today about the taxes paid by business in the year

2005. The finding is that two thirds of all American businesses paid no income taxes at all. That's just the way they want it. It also may help to explain why everyone else's taxes have been going up. Business is able to avoid paying taxes very well. Too bad the rest of us can't figure out how to do that.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Corporations may not pay "income taxes" but they pay PLENTY in other taxes and fees.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler

I see you copied that right from the pamphlet! In reality, businesses don't pay taxes, they collect them for the government. Every cent of taxes is passed on to the consumer. Raise taxes on business and goods produced cost more and become less competitive in the market and foreign companies have an advantage. If you want to shift MORE manufacturing overseas, just tax domestics. Why don't lefties get that? Oh yea, I remember now...they're stupid!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Let's see. I can either believe you or I can believe the business owners of fortune 500 companies and financial professionals I hear on the business shows, and what I learned in school. That's a tough choice. Gee whiz, I guess I have to go with the experts and not an old geezer. Sorry. They say they can't just pass all their costs on to their customers. Are they stupid too or are they lying? I believe them, not you. Maybe if you ran a big business you'd be believable. But I doubt it.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

The percentage of Fortune 500 companies is very small. Realistically, tax laws are complex because business situations are so varied. On the whole, I'm right. The US should be striving to create wealth, good jobs and prosperity. But, the liberals demonize ALL business citing statistically insignificant atrocities by a very few high-profile players.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You know what, your point would be a lot more believable if it agreed with the facts. You make it sound like liberals are not pro business. That is patently not true. All one has to do is look at the facts and you find that business and investors do better under Democratic leadership. Just look at the economic figures during Clinton's terms and both Bush I and II's terms. What you find is that business is better when a Democrat is in the White House. So the idea that liberals are anti business or don't want to see wealth and good jobs created just isn't true. You keep trying to make that point but no matter how many times you say it it's still not true.

As far as passing on costs to consumers are you familiar with the term "pricing power"? If you are a businessman you should. If you are not you should look it up. Here's a hint though, some businesses can pass on increased costs better than others can. Even so, what I said is right. Business cannot just pass on all it's costs to the consumer. They wish they could though.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

If they don't pass their costs on, it soon becomes a self correcting problem as those that do not pass thoses costs on (or avoid them by moving offshore) go broke. Think about it.

Reply to
Geoffm