knife making supplies

hello all
Came acrosse this today. I was rather suprised at the stuff they are
selling! They even have a couple of Heat Treating ovens. You can
access it one page at a time or download the whole flyer.

James Crombie
they wanted about twice the price of harbor freight for the same junk: continuity tester, their price 3.95, hf $1.98 mech. stetescope $7.95, hf $2.59 timing light $59 , hf $29 dont know about prices for knife making, but it they are consistent with the other stuff you will be taken for a ride........
Reply to
jim
The pricing would probably be in Canadian $. And a smaller company will not be able to offer stuff at the same price as HF. But for us Canuks the extra price is worth because of the hassle getting stuff out of the US. There are a lot of things I would order up but we get screwed by UPS with extra brokerage fees etc.
jim wrote:
Reply to
James Crombie
Big time! The one time I used them they charged a $35 brokerage fee on a $25 order which was a small package of 10 carbide inserts. FedEx is better but best of all is if your supplier will ship USPS.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards
This used to be true, but recently Canada Post has subcontracted with Purolator to handle cross border parcels with the result that the recipient now pays at least $5.00 + GST even if no taxes or duties are owing. There doesn't seem to be any way to get out of it. Our dictators don't want us to buy anything coming from outside the country.
Reply to
James J. Weinkam
The $5 fee has been around for quite a while. but its still better than getting hit with the brokerage charges. When I ordered Rhinoceros 1.0 cad software I got hit for over $90, back in 97 or 98.
James J. We> This used to be true, but recently Canada Post has subcontracted with
Reply to
James Crombie
The governments (all of them) want the tax on the *value*, not what you say you paid. Usually if it's an arm's length transaction they take the selling price as the value. In practice, for something small, it would probably just go through (better it has a reasonable and small value on it rather than "gift").
It's not so much the sales tax, but the cost of having someone else fill out the paperwork and arranging to pay the tax on arrival that causes problems. Some big US companies are arranging to collect (and remit) GST on books and other taxes on other products to avoid this issue. For example, Barnes and Noble (books) and Digikey (electronic parts). After all, they have all the information so filling out the forms (perhaps in bulk, once per day) can be automated so it adds little cost to their operation if they get sufficient regular business. I suspect Digikey is paying for 50 or 100 employees in Minnesota with their Canadian business, so it's not peanuts. Of course they've taken that business away from local outlets.
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
i checked out their site,, looked for automotive tools and found that
These guys are a Canadian outfit. Prices are in Canadian pesos, and us Canucks don't have to deal with customs to buy from them.
Cheers Trevor Jones
Reply to
Trevor Jones
Isn't it nice of them to charge us only $5 for the privlege of paying the GST?
Mind, it is better than the $35 minimum charged by Brown - at least it was $35 a few years ago. It could be higher now.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards
Wasn't I surprised when my DigiKey catalog arrived and at the bottom of the pages it said "All prices in Canadian dollars". Also their handling and minimum shipping charges appear to be just the U.S. ones adjusted for exchange. Nice.
Travers Tool are also shipping within Canada and KBC have branches here.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards
I have been dealing with KBC and Travers for years, KBC has had a canadian priced catalog for quite a while, Travers only changed theirs a couple of years ago. Its mainly the consumer places that we have the problem with, like Harbour Freight. There are several similar companies here in Canada, Like Busybee, but they don't have the range of products like HF. Now, if I could get a Princess Auto store a little closer than in Moncton we would be all set :-)
James Crombie Summerside, PEI, Canada
Ted Edwards wrote:
Reply to
James Crombie