Vise Jaws

I got a 4" machine vise (probably an import) needing new jaws. What should I make them out of? Never had to before.

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

I'm going to make my next set out of brass, soft and easy to machine. I find that I hold a lot more delicate stuff in the vise and I'm tired of picking up my sheet lead soft jaws off the floor.

Ed Angell

Reply to
Ed Angell

When I was in Vocational school we made them from aluminum bar stock. It was great to be able to take a cut on them to be sure the vise was true and to hold specific items. Easy to make and easy to replace.

Ron Thompson Was On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast, Now On the Beautiful Florida Space Coast, right beside the Kennedy Space Center, USA

'If you're standing in a puddle, don't touch anything that hums' From the Red Green show

Reply to
Ron Thompson

IMO you should make tham from mild steel (maybe 12L14, easy machining). Have a pair of magnetically attachable soft jaws on hand for the delicate stuff.

Reply to
Bob Swinney

Make a set or two from steel, and a few sets from aluminum. Get it all done at once and you won't need to spend the time and effort for quite some time.

mj

And maybe make a set extra long. You *will* use them.

Reply to
michael

michael wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hitechnetworks.net:

Cool, thanks for the ideas guys! And I was paranoid about what to use! :-)

Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega