OT: NIST Study Of CD/DVD Longevity

Hi all,

Really no metalworking content, but interesting, and concerns something most of us use regularly... found it referenced on Slashdot.org the other day.

The report's a 656KB pdf file.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Hey Erik,

Wow, do you even know what "phthalocyanine"is?? Dictionary says it is a blue-green hue, but most CD's seem to have that anyway. I'd have been happier if they had shown the brand-names or manufacturers, or if the manufacturers were to prominently display the compositon of the CD's. I just looked at five different brands I have here, and other than the word "Platinum", there is no mention of any composition at all. Of the five differernt brands I do have, three each have the same US address, and the other two aren't even that proud!

Thanks for the enlightenment as to longevity though.

Take care.

Brian Laws>Hi all,

Reply to
Brian Lawson

It's not really of much help, if you keep them out of the sun. IMO, high temp at low humidity would be a more reasonable test for predicting aging.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

The information on a CD is stored in little holes burned in a thin layer of aluminum or gold. Both of those are metal. Hence, it's metalworking.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Longevity is only as long as the guys from MythBusters don't get a hold of it. They scientifically determined that a CD mounted to a router lasts about 1 second after the router is switched on. Always wear safety glasses!!

Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Tim Wescott wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Not true for any CD. Manufactured CDs have a metal layer, but it has no holes. Recordable CDs use colour dyes, with no layer of metal to be found.

Only if you start worrying about high speed vacuum deposition of metal on a polycarbonate substrate.

Reply to
Old Fangled

Manufactured ones have pits, though not through holes.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

There's 8 pdf pages there. If you don't want to read it all, here's an

*inclusive* summary: the longevity of CD's and DVD's is adversely affected by sunlight, heat, and humidity. PERIOD. No useful info.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I read an article (don't recall where) that said the most damaging scratches were those on the top (label) side of a disc.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

Yup. There's only a few thousandths of an inch of material between the label side and the data layer. Much thicker on the other side. Doesn't apply as much for DVDs.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

If that's an issue, get printable CD-Rs. The label side is thicker than that of 'regular' CD-Rs.

Using stick-on labels is generally a bad idea. While it is very rare, it /can/ destabilize a disc in a CD-ROM, causing it to shatter. Also, you cannot use it in slot-loading players such as in your car.

Reply to
Xane T.

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:46:31 GMT, "SteveF" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Yeah. After they destroyed 3 routers trying!

NOTE: I DO NOT WATCH THIS SHOW! IT WAS A PURE FLUKE! honest

Reply to
OldNick