Stainless steel longevity.

The top of the Chrysler building in NY (built 1930) is often cited as an example of the durability of stainless steel in atmospheric conditions - are
there any earlier examples?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TTTRoberts) wrote in message

Yes, there was a 1929 canopy at the Savoy Hotel in London (UK).
For details, go to the Nickel Devolopment Institute web site at www.nidi.org. Their 44 page publication 11023 (from 2001) called Timeless Stainless Architecture describes 16 different buildings. It can be ordered by snail mail or downloaded as a big (1.76 Mb) .pdf file. They have lots of other publications on architechtural use of stainless steel.
The book Architectural Metals notes that Pittsburgh Plate Glass had an earlier stainless roof that was built in 1924.
Pittsburgh Pete
DISCLAIMER
We don't believe what we write, and neither should you. Information furnished to you is for topical (external) use only. This information may not be worth any more than either a groundhog turd, or what you paid for it (nothing). The author may not even have been either sane or sober when he wrote it down. Don't worry, be happy.