OT OBD on board diagnostics code scanners

My truck started running rough, so I dug out my OBD code scanner and found that it had died.

So I rummage around the internet and found I can get a OBD to usb converter or a OBD to blue tooth device. Anyone have opinions on this.

Any sites with info on making a OBD code scanner. I already have a case and a OBD connector.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I have the USB converter cable & it has worked fine on every car or truck I have used it on.

The blue tooth would be better only if you plan on gathering data while you are driving the vehicle, IMO.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

BQ340 fired this volley in news:4e4d9bd9$0$27006 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsreader.readnews.com:

Unless you're talking about putting the laptop in the back seat, a simple cable clamp will fix that. I mounted one under the dash, right about over the hump, in order to keep the OBDII reader cable from getting tangled in my feet.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

If you have a laptop the USB connector is the way to go. There is plenty of free software. You should be able to get what you need for under $20 on ebay

-jim

Reply to
jim

You can buy the whole thing on Ebay for $8.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Let me ask friends who just bought same.

Reply to
David Lesher

is a schematic for a ISO

9141-2 to R-232 converter that will work on Chrysler and some other brands, but GM & Ford use a different interface. The OBD-II connector currently supports three or four different 'Standard Interfaces'.

You can buy an IC called the ELM327 which is a preprogrammed PIC processor to make a general purpose interface. The STN1110 is Another OBD-II interface IC. Either of thesse require you to write some code.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0Dan

Or if your project is to get the truck running and not to build an OBD scanner, haul it down to one of the chain parts places and they'll read the code(s) for free. Interpretation is left up to you.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Good advice. I got the truck running, but still want to have a working obd.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Here is a project using a readily avaible Ardino board. You can buy the board on Ebay for $20

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Harbor Freight has had the 98568 OBDII scanner on sale for as low as $40. It's an Autel MS309. I bought one to ensure that I'll never need it. It seems OK though there were no fault codes to read.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I have one from HF, too, but the OP wanted to know how to build his own. I also pointed out a USB to OBD-II adapter is available on Ebay for $8.

My HF OBD-II reader just told me that I have a defective 'Over pressure Sensor' inside my automatic transmission, and some online research shows the sensor costs $85, and the labor will be $$160 or higher. Unless it's the PCM giving a false reading, which will be around $500.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I just bought this on Ebay for $7.86, including shipping. It is a OBD-II to USB version, with software, and has more functions than the cheap handheld units. Plug it into an old laptop and you're ready to go. :)

Item: 220838688671

I have the Harbor Freight model that's on sale. It will display codes, but not clear them after a repair.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Thanks. I printed out the ebay info. The OBD that I have is a Harbor Freight model. It would clear codes when it was working. But it sounds as if things have improved and this one ought to work well.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Just make sure it matches the description for that item. Some of the interfaces are for European markets only, and don't use the same protocols as vehicles made for the US market.

You might want to open the HF unit and see if it's just a broken wire, or bad solder joint. Mouser sells the OBD-II connectors and pins, if that's all that's bad. They also sell them for the vehicle's data port.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell