OT PVC deflection

A 104" length piece of 3" schedule 40 pvc pipe is laid on the floor with parellels under each end. A 150-200# person stands on the center of the pipe with his feet 32" apart .(disclaimer for personal injury in fine print) How much will the pipe deflect? Will the pvc eventually warp over time under stress? TIA

Reply to
Wwj2110

Depends on the hight of the parallels!! It will probably sag an 1/2" to 1" from its own weight. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Temperature is probably a factor. (I've seen it shatter when cold enough.)

Reply to
Offbreed

And sag when warm.

Reply to
Brian Lawson

The age of the PVC is also a factor. New is very forgiving, but old is very brittle. Particularly so if left exposed to sunlight, etc.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Yes it'll continue to sag with time and will eventually will take a "fix".

I've used 20' sticks of 1" sched 40 pvc as greenhouse hoops, if it isn't too cold they easily bend in a 180 deg arc (then held in place and upright by sticking the ends over rebar stakes). Removed after a couple years, they sprung back to a 90 deg arc and stay there.

I understand as well it can be heat-bent like grey PVC.

Reply to
Bob Powell