OT - Sandblasting Glass

I'm sure we've got enough folks is this group who have sandblasted. Need to make some clear glass into frosted for a light fixture. Is is reasonable to think I can sandblast the back and get a nice even effect across the glass (round piece, like a salad bowl, 24" across, 10" deep.

Thanks. Steve.

Reply to
SteveF

Yep, its that easy, Just tape off areas not to be sandblasted. For tall drinking glasses I stuffed them with paper then taped the opening closed. I even blasted a one inch line around mayo jars to use for labelling.

Searcher

Reply to
Searcher

Even better, etch it with commercial glass etching liquid, available at any stained glass hobby shop.

Tom Gardner

I've been using a wet sand blaster for a couple of years now and its a lot better safety wise than the dry/air one I was using.

No risk of silicosis is without doubt my favourite advantage.

Reply to
Roger

I have blasted acres of glass. go to rayzist.com and talk to a man named Art. It's easy and he's really cool

Reply to
daniel peterman

In what way is any process that involves handling hydrofluoric acid "better" than something that's a simple mechanical process ? That is one hell of a nasty chemical, one I certainly won't handle.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 06:52:16 -0500, SteveF penned the following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.crafts.metalworking:

Acid etch may be a better process than blasting, if you don't have the right media. We used to frost and cut glass using a sandblaster, but we only used extreme flour grades of carborundum.

You are going to have to adjust the process to match your desired result....

Reply to
Gene Kearns

I have used fine grades of wet dry paper in the past to frost glass.

Gene Kearns wrote:

jk

Reply to
jk