KBC advertises 00005 (5 hun-th) caliper

are they for real ?

$89 gets u a set with that, plus base, arms and 1" dial digital indicator. Right on their home page ...

There's probably 2 shops in the whole nation that can hold these types of tolerances, but still I am sure many of us wouldn't mind having 5 h-th of resolution.

Reply to
rashid111

That they can resolve to .00005" through circuitry in no way means that they will be capable of making measurements to the same degree of resolution. My personal opinion is that they would be worthless for that purpose. Calipers are prone to considerable error----often not able to resolve to a thou, regardless of the capabilities of the electronics. There's too much mechanical error in them----including variations from inside/outside jaws, and springing of the jaws.

Holding tight tolerance isn't beyond the capability of many shops. I've worked as closely as .000020", but I had the luxury of a certified secondary standards lab at my disposal to do the measuring. It's almost impossible for the normal shop to measure that close. I drew the line at .0001" tolerance when I ran my commercial shop. Anything closer than that was no-bid, citing my lack of ability to measure reliably.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

If you watch Ebay and bide your time, it's not hard to find a good older gage head and amplifier for around that price. Starrett's always seem to bring a lot more, but Federal and Browne & Sharpe seem to be more reasonable, perhaps because they tend to be a lot older and usually with an analog display on the amplifier. Both finger and plunger style heads are available but the finger style seems a lot more common. AKAIK, the finger style is good for comparative work and the plunger for absolute work. They usually go down to about 10 millionths resolution.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

snip-----

Now if someone can tell me how I concluded that post was about calipers, I'd be a happy camper. Anyone besides me ever have a brain fart like that? Sigh.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

Uhhhmm, Harold...

Do you figure that the header that reads, among other things, "caliper" might've done it?

BDDT

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Chuckle! Thanks, Trevor.

One right after the other with me, eh?

When I read the comments without reading the title, I was at a loss to explain my post. Yes, indeed, I did read caliper, and went off on my tirade about their inability. My comments still stand, but I get the idea that calipers are not what was really intended to be referenced by the OP.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

All told, this is kind of a strange ad. If you hit the page with the ad:

read the fine print, it says that the 0.000,05 accuracy is claimed for the caliper ONLY. The included electronic dial guage is only good to 0.001. Kind of backwards from the usual thing; I'd expect a caliper and dial set to either have the same resolution, or the finer resolution to be with the dial, not the caliper. Plus, as Harold noted above, you're unlikely to actually get 0.000,05 out of a caliper anyway.

Go figure :-)

Dave

Reply to
LowEnergyParticle

Maybe the sneaky devils are going metric for the caliper... 0.000,05 metres would be about 2 thou :-0

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

I figured it for furlongs ;)