Linka

I'm full of admiration for the folks who build those huge structures shown on the Linka World website, they either have immense reserves of time and patience or a truly prodigious collection of moulds!

I'm building a retaining wall with arches, in the classic style, and thought I'd use Linka for it. Twenty spans or thereabouts, and I can cast maybe four or five a day. I'm getting better with practice but it's clear that the more pourable the plaster mix, the better the result, but that also takes longer to be ready to remove from the moulds. With a good pourable mix I reckon at least two hours before it's safe to separate and then 24-48 hours to cure. Plastikard glued to plywood is a lot quicker! Sadly the brick sizes are different enough that you can't really mix the two. Never mind, modelling is as much about the building as the finished article, eh?

On the subject of Linka, does anyone else here use it? Any handy tips to share? The moulds never seem to be quite flat, I guess the mortar grooves are deep enough that a very light application of wet & dry to even things up will not do any harm. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

As ever with these one off modelling jobs, you know exactly how best to do it by the time its finished !

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Ha! How true those words are, even today. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

I've got a couple of customers who have used it in the past, but the product range was sold to some outfit in the USA and I don't know that it was ever imported from there.

Is it still available in the USA?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Very much so, and there's an importer who sells it on eBay (or was when I bought mine).

is the US operation. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

And they have a new retailer in the UK:

Lobby Dosser

Damn, credit card in danger again. Incidentally, I have found some stuff called resin plaster that seems to cast better and with fewer air bubbles, and sets much harder. Has anyone here tried it? Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

From the Linka site:

"We have also updated a link on our "Linka Links" page to include a new plaster and arts supplier recommended by Mr. E. Edwards of the UK. Maragon Arts and Crafts is a great shop. They even offer free plaster samples - be sure to check them out!"

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

You can make your own mould in latex from a plastic card master or scribed Plaster.

Reply to
Trev

eg . . .

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

I used Linka for a long retaining wall. Given the hassle of remaking all the joints align and so on, if I were to have to do it again I'd look seriously at making one arch "unit" reasonably well, then making my own mould from that for further mass production.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis