OT - Siding Timber Frame Barn to use as workshop

I have found the contributers to this newsgroup to be quite knowledgeable about building construction as well as metalworking. For my new and enlarged workshop I am planning to reside an old timber frame barn. I would like it to look like an old barn from both the inside and the outside. My plan is to nail 1 x 8 rough pine boards to the outside of the beams, then cover these from the outside with 1" XPS (rigid blue foam), wrap with tar paper and cover from the outside with 1 x 8 rough pine. The roof would be similar except the outside layer would be roofing steel.

Does this make sense? I am not looking for great insulation, mostly just wind protection. Does this contravene fire regulations?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Reply to
SBaer

For

The usual method is stress skin panels on the outside of the frame. Try to make it to one of the Timber Framer's Guild conventions. The products will be on display and you will learn much about restoring old frames.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

The probelm with them is that they are ugly from the inside, and you still have to side the outside.

stan

axolotl wrote:

Reply to
SBaer