OT: Thinking of moving to Phoenix (was LasVegas)

I mentioned a couple things to the owner like getting material for our products and heat treating. There are no sources in Vegas and many in Phoenix. Just as hot, houses seem a little cheaper, better overall choice I think.

Views, opinions ????

JohnF

Reply to
JohnF

Better than Vegas for sure but it still wouldn't be my top choice and I spent my first 28 years living there. It's too damned hot and too crowded as well. Tucson is a much nicer place to live in my opinion.

Reply to
bob mologna

My year in Phoenix (on the southwest corner of Jomax and Scottsdale roads - we were literally the northeast-most lot within the Phoenix city limits, as the line ran down the centers of Scottsdale to the east, and Jomax to the north) convinced me I didn't wanna stay in ultra-hot country. 117F or higher for three weeks at a time isn't my idea of fun. Looking roughly southwest through the gap near Camelback mountain to see the layered stack of different colors (and presumably kinds?) of gunge hanging in the air over "downtown" Phoenix wasn't exactly comforting, either. I avoided getting any closer to it than absolutely neccesary, but the few times I had to venture in, the air gave me the impression that it wouldn't take much to stiffen it up enough to be chewable. Usually spent a couple hours after such visits a bit wheezy and feeling like my throat had somehow been painted with a thin layer of plastic.

Reply to
Don Bruder

This is precisely why I chose to live in Massachusetts, where we enjoy the four seasons, the ocean, the mountains and a bit of history. SF was my second choice, but I chose the Boston area. Here the air is clean and clear, and we have sufficient rainfall to raise wonderful gardens, and even trees! In fact here young trees are regarded as weeds, and pulled.

Perhaps I'm a bit strange, but seriously I can't imagine why anyone would except by neccesity chose to live in the middle of a desert where life is sustained only by artifical means, except due to very significant financial considerations, and even then only temporarily.

Harry C.

Reply to
Harry Conover

Try Tucson--you'll get it. Phoenix is more or less a human cesspool. And you're right, people move there for the money and not much else (unless they're elderly and get cold below 80F).

Reply to
MKloepster

We dont have the Kennedys in the desert.

Gunner, in the heart of the desert "The entire population of Great Britain has been declared insane by their government. It is believed that should any one of them come in possession of a firearm, he will immediately start to foam at the mouth and begin kiling children at the nearest school. The proof of their insanity is that they actually believe this." -- someone in misc.survivalism

Reply to
Gunner

I agree with you guys about Tucson but it isn't an option at this point. San Diego (AKA, Paradise) has it's "cesspools" also, that isn't something I'll have to adjust to. I wasn't looking forward to Vegas but was made a decent enough offer to consider moving with the company. I think Phoenix is a better alternative and the houses look to be about 50k cheaper apples to apples (cactus to cactus ??).

JohnF

Reply to
JohnF

That *used* to be true. Not anymore with all the lawns, golf courses, and pools. Right now AZ has the highest number of West Nile infections in the country (all in Phoenix, IIRC). A few older people have already died from it there.

Reply to
MKloepster

No mosquitoes.

-- wf.

Harry C> Perhaps I'm a bit strange, but seriously I can't imagine why anyone

Reply to
randee

Actually we have mosquitoes in the desert. West Nile also. Fortunatly..not many and its very very seasonal. Lots of water in old tires, etc etc

Gunner

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability, accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee, imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'

Reply to
Gunner