OT-Union Business

You may not like it but it's true. Happens in many other places as well. All falls under the National Labor Relations Board Equality Rule.

It is also all public records. However it isn't just the UFT that gets these perks. They also apply to the NYPD, NYFD, MTA, Sanitation and the others.

Reply to
Steve W.

em there. Its news in 30 second grabs, no right of reply, no way to correct= a sound grab out of context.

(BTW - tried to read Ayan Rand(sp) but she is such a crappy boring writer with cardboard cutout characters I threw it across the room after one chapter....sigh....I know there is a great temptation in humanity to look for a "simple" explanation of Life, the Universe, and Everything, but it aint gonna happen. But some bullshit artist, pushing Gawd knows what agenda, will happily do it for you)

Agree totally - but doesn't it sound just plain ludicrous that such a thing could happen in 2011? - hello guys, times are tough. Jobs like that ceased to exist 20 years ago anyway. Does it not sound a bit fishy? - does it not clash with the everyday, workaday world around you?

Blah....blah....blah.....the same old bullshit, the same old scare/ outrage stories - havent you noticed their cyclical?

Andrew VK3BFA.

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Dan

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Don't blame us. You're the ones who gave us Rupert Murdoch.

Good for you. You have a good critical eye. In the world of writing vertebrates, Ayn Rand was a toad. d8-)

Here's a frightening thought: Alan Greenspan was a huge fan of Ayn Rand, and practically drooled on her when he met her. To me, this explains a lot.

Some parts of our economy operate around 30 years behind the times, and are based on a different set of values than the race-to-the-bottom globalization principles that the rest of us are living with today. That's not such a bad thing -- it forces us to examine what's going on with the rest of the economy and what we've forfeited along the way. And that's not pretty. Sometimes it seems like we've decided to enslave ourselves to the very forces we unleashed without thinking.

To paraphrase a famous Supreme Court Justice, who was talking about the US Constitution, it shouldn't be a suicide pact. Neither should the economy.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Not at all.

No, I've seen that kind of stuff WAY too much. When unions are involved, there's no such thing as sanity. Add in government, and it's a certainty that ridiculosity ensues.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Sorry bout that - lets face it, America was the natural place for a robber baron capitalist of the Old School. Here in OZ, we thought it unhealthy if there was only.....ONE...news outfit, so Rupert moved (now you lot have got him, poor bastards)

Yes, it stuns me how people can fall for such simplistic dogma - and badly written dogma at that - she was a failed Hollywood scriptwriter, it shows, alas...

But we do similar things here -our premier literature award is the Miles Franklin, usually make a reasonable (and readable) choice. A few years back they gave it to this woman who claimed it was Holocaust memoirs (or similar) total bullshit and she got away with it! - But only when someone actually bothered to check rather than believe the bullshit, unquestioningly. Oh, and apply the same methodology to the loony left as well - some of them are well and truly off with the fairies - but surely, is it THAT hard to see blatant bullshit? , whoever spouts it?

Well, yes - but not when its held up as some everyday common occurrence, same as new billionaires popping up. And I am old enough to be a Old Fart, a union man, and a working man could buy a house and raise a family - with some dignity. So, why are people getting outraged when they read of "someone" better off? - is it an inkling, suppressed memory, of how that used to be the norm?

When you MADE something, and you could say that 20 years later cause it was still going, a bit of Pride its called. And if you were in the metal trades (indeed, most trades) then you WILL be carrying some injuries from a lifetime of WORKING. Of course you fought with the bosses - hey, we are not here to be your servants, we are skilled artisans worthy of our hire - that seems to be a dirty word now.... How long since any Joe Worker did that? - and not the dilettante hobbyists and nutters hanging around here, getting hopelessly confused about which way is up, critical thought and grade school maths suspended as the Right and Left fight it out. Ideology Rules, OK. They were shit jobs, dirty, uncomfortable, dangerous - we were factory fodder, now we are acting like a bunch of sheep without even the ability to make a decent, honest living.

RANT OFF.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Fair enough. If it were only that simple - X billion people on the planet, and they all want to do things THEIR way.....sigh.....we are stuffed......

Reply to
Andrew VK3BFA

Steve Ackman

Woosy unions. I would have held out for Starbucks Italian Blend, Cafe Verona, or Espresso, and Vanilla Caramel creamer. They could easily afford it. I bet a dollar to a donut hold that only one out of every ten pounds of coffee, and one out of every ten gallons of milk actually make it to the coffee kiosk at work, but somehow mysteriously disappearing in transit.

What about the sugar? I hear no mention of the sugar. Coffee isn't coffee without copious amounts of sugar. Someone dropped the bargaining ball. If they have to provide coffee and "milk", where's the sugar?

SteveB

Heart surgery pending? Read up and prepare. Download the book $10

Steve B

Boy, you've got a weird definition of coffee. Real men drink real coffee. Coffee with sugar is tantamount to candy. ;-)

To lighten the subject a bit, have you ever had a cup of fresh black coffee out in the sunlight? It looks just exactly like that brown goo that you drain out of your crankcase when you need an oil change. (I'm assuming it has something to do with backscatter.)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Exactly. We have sugar in the house, but it's for the hummingbirds, not us. NEVER in coffee.

I drink coffee outdoors often, but I've never seen the effect you describe. Maybe the early morning sun is at too low an angle to get inside the cup. Not to mention, I'm always facing the sun, so that would make it even more improbable that the sun would penetrate the coffee. I'll have to make a point of aiming the cup toward the sun.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

I like my coffee like my women: Hot, sweet, and creamy. ;) Just not too sweet. 2/3 of a packet of pink is just right with a nice STRONG cuppa. Weak coffee is for wusses.

It tastes much like that, too. Sweetener and cream bring out the true flavor of both coffee and tea. Give any kid who hasn't tasted coffee a sip of black and his face will immediately go into horror. He will also look for a place he can spit.

-- Life is full of little surprises. --Pandora

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Chicago cops get free doughnuts with thier coffee.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

I just looked at my coffee in the sun. It looks the same as in room lighting; completely opaque. I assume if you're getting backscatter, it's because you're making it too weak. Brown goo? Really?

That's true for a limited value of "any kid." I knew a 2 yr old who not only drank black coffee, but straight espresso shots... and her face lit up.

Reply to
Steve Ackman

Larry Jaques wrote: ...

Exactly my point. Children like candy; Real Men drink Real Coffee. ;-)

Personally, I like mine fortified with a generous dollop of Irish (or whatever alcoholic flavorant is at hand), which children aren't even allowed to have! ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I really can't speak at this - I've never tasted crankcase sludge. ;-P

(This can be an especially handy point when someone claims something "tastes like shit..." ;-) )

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

When I was a kid, and we had to walk 20 miles uphill both ways through ten feet of snow, we got our morning stimulant at breakfast, which usually comprised about 50% white sugar. (half a grapefruit with about a tablespoon of sugar, Wheaties with bananas and sugar, Sugar frosted flakes, Sugar smacks, etc.) Man, we got to school ready and rarin' to go!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In article , Rich Grise wrote: [...]

My ex-wife once said that about something I fixed for dinner. Much later, when I related this to my father (a clinical social worker), he asked me how I responded. Ummm, Dad, I'm afraid it wasn't very mature... So what did you say?? he repeated.

I told him that I said to her, "Well, piss on you anyway!"

The faintest trace of a smile briefly flickered across his face, and he said, deadpan, "Professionally speaking, that was an entirely appropriate response."

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not I. Mine can float horseshoes, let alone standing up spoons.

Check with a bright, rising sun at an angle.

Any more, my coffee tastes a whole lot like tea, but I don't ache as much every day now.

I'd be willing to bet that the -first- time, she had a totally different expression on her face. (This for 99.99% of kids.)