OT - Vacuum cleaners

I think there was a thread about home vacuum cleaners not-to-recently but I can't find it on Google.

I need a new vacuum cleaner for the apartment (NOT the shop) and I don't want to waste my money. I don't want the $99 Canadian Tire special. I'd be willing to spend up to about $500 Cnd.

I don't have pets, I'm not too messy. I don't want an upright unless it has an auxillary hose as I do like the crevice tool and (dust?) brush.

I don't have bad alergies so a HEPA filter probably isn't necessary, although I would certainly consider a model that includes one.

I'm just looking for comments on brands (models are good, but perhaps that's asking a lot) or web resources. I don't really know where to start...

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

Jordan

Miele is probably the best new brand in your price range. I personally would get a used '80s-'90s Electrolux, since they go for around $100 on eBay and are the same as the new $1500 ones, minus HEPA filter. Durable as hell. I have two, plus two older ones.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

My wife likes her Miele.

Reply to
Mike Henry

When my wife started a cleaning business, several years ago, we bought a Simplicity upright on the advice of a friend who owns a vacuum and sewing shop.

It has a hose and crevice tool onboard, and our friend threw in an accessories package that included an additional 12' hose, wand, brush- nozzles etc.

The thing worked great, although it took quite a beating, usually running at least 2 or 3 hours per day.

We paid about $250 U.S. and have added more to the fleet since, as well as hooking up about a dozen friends and cleaning clients with them as well, at the same price. (We're getting a discount)

Simplicity is U.S. made and is repairable with good parts availability, instead of being a throw away.

If you're interested, the commercial version has a 40' cord, which is great, but they make a home model which is identical except for color, labeling, and a shorter cord. We have our friend outfit these with a 50' cord, which he will do at the same price.

Best of luck,

Dave

Reply to
Dave Carlson

If I was still a single guy and didn't have to consult the purchasing manager, I'd buy a used Filter Queen at a vacuum repair shop, probably for $100 - $150 Canadian. Brian, in Cedar

Reply to
Brian Barnson

Cruise the thrift shops. Often these are junked for nothing more than folks not changing the bag, and crud builds up and clogs the works. The belt slips and it makes a horrible burning rubber smell.

A clean out and a new belt is usually all that is needed to put them back in service.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

look on the street. That's where al my vacuums have come from. Usually It needs a new belt and the paper bag. Karl

Reply to
Karl Vorwerk

Yup, it's amazing how many folks don't realize that that bag is in there and needs to be changed once in awhile. Guess they throw the instructions away or can't read them to start with. Had a Sears cannister unit that was plugged solid, when I cracked the case, I needed the Shop-Vac because everything was packed solid, the previous owners had used it until the bag ruptured and the thing proceeded to pack its innards solid. After sucking out all the crud and replacing the bag, it worked fine. Most of the tools were by the dumpster, too. $300 vacuum.

Stan

Reply to
Stan Schaefer

What does she want and why?

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

The Kenmore vac from sears is usually a pretty good unit - and a reasonable deal even if bought new. I've picked a few up off the curb that were just fine - some needed cord replaced (30 year old insulation) and the occaisional one needed brushes. Sometimes the hose is ratty and you need to replace it - as long as the power does not run through the hose for the power brush they are cheap to replace.

I like the older units with metal hose ends and solid switches etc that last for ever. The new "flavour of the month" vacs are cheaply built, poorly designed, gimmicky Chinese CRAP.In two years the company is out of buisiness and you can't get parts if your life depends on it.

Last one I picked up needed a motor - got a surplus one from Princess Auto on sale for 7.77 that dropped right in.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

On 16 Nov 2004 13:06:41 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@prolynx.com (Stan Schaefer) calmly ranted:

I picked up a $5 Hoover upright with extension tube for ceilings, etc. (which the lady said didn't work well) at a garage sale. I brought it home and found that she was right, no sucky. I checked the bag: brand new with no dust. I flipped it over and pulled an ounce of hair from around the beater-bar bearings and under the belt. 2 screws later, I had the suction case to the motor apart and found the problem. Large pieces of paper and more hair/lint/debris clogging the intake line. I added a few drops of oil and 3 minutes later it was like a brand new vac.

The best deals out there are the old Electrolux and Hoover models they sold door to door. Extremely stong motors, and you can buy them used or rebuilt for $50, a tenth of their new value^H^H^H^H^Hprice.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

For your lungs and machines welfare....

1) In the living space: Get rid of all carpet. Use a dust mop, and shake outside. Use a vacuum hose for edges only. Follow with an 5 gallon bucket on wheels and mop with straight water.

2) In the shop: Get a shop vac Move the grinding, compressed air blowing, and wood sawing outside.

3) Outside: Do not clean oil off parts with compressed air.
Reply to
Clark Magnuson