OT: Was "Gunny" Lee Ermey ever really a Marine?

I like it because I like to laugh and it has some of the best/funniest movie lines ever.

I've seen that one several times, too. I watch the old black and white movie channels (AMC and TCM) and the Western Networks. Also, one network that has Maverick, Cheyenne, Bronco, Sugarfoot, Lawman. The Rifleman (to name the Westerns - also, 77 Sunset Strip, Surfside 6 and Hawaiian Eye - showing my age, aren't I?). I sure as hell have to pay lots of money to do so but it's worth it to me. Better these shows than the so-called reality crap. Sue

Reply to
Sue

He received an extraordinary promotion to Gunnery Sergeant (Marine Corps Reserve?) by the Commandant of the Marine Corps for services rendered/ life time acheivement or something. As you may know, Gunnery Sergeant rank is sort of a quantum leap over Staff Sergeant in the USMC, kind of like making "Chief" in the US Navy. Paul

Reply to
6e70

I'm with you, Sue. How could anyone not like True Grit? A great movie IMHO. Lot's of laughs, some good violence, and some sentimentality.

I have pretty much given up on tv the last few years because of what you stated above, what is not on, and what IS. There is a guy in another group I read who's sig line is, "I'll start watching reality shows when I can vote people off the planet!"

michael

I *would* watch tv at your house. ;~)

Reply to
michael

--Look around the Doctor Demento page; you might find links to his former profession, heh. He's got at least one winner of a silly tune in the archive. OTOH I can see why he's doing something else for a living these days... ;-)

Reply to
steamer

One of his most poignant roles was in the Shootist.

Gunner

Gunner

Dead Puppies. A great tune. But hard to dance to.

Gunner

Gunner

Yep. Seen that one several times, too. I swear it's on one cable station or the other almost weekly. Sue

Reply to
Sue

I can't answer directly to your post because it isn't showing up on my Agent. Chuckle. All of my own posts here seem to have disappeared, too. One time when this happened I discovered I'd accidently killfiled myself. That isn't the case this time, though.

Chuckle. You'd be welcome. I get 30 bazillion channels. Sue

Reply to
Sue

Yeah, really liked that one.

michael

Reply to
michael

Careful, darlin, I might show up!

michael

Reply to
michael

Dead Puppies is not a dancing tune, but a tune one can _sing_. Keeps people away from you when setting up machinery.

"kids these days, can't make any music themselves (whistle, hum or singing) so they gotta fall back on sampled crap. Not like when I was a boy!"

tschus pyotr

OFIT.

Great Grandpa used to go up the road a bit and give everyone in the valley a free flute concert in the summer evenings. People could hear him for miles.

Reply to
pyotr filipivich