Outdoor tabletop

I was given a high-end patio table and chair set; very well made! However the glass top was broken. (that's why I got it)
What's the best way to replace the top. If I cut out a plywood 4' ci9rcle, that will function but the weather will destroy it. Could it be sealed to last for years? Or, should I use a different material? The glass shop wants $125.

spend

I agree. If that's a heavy piece of plate glass suitable for the application. $125 seems fair.
Epoxy seals plywood, but the sun eats the epxoy. Poly resin is much harder to get to stick to the pkywood, and is not as waterproof. By the time you do all that $125 seems cheap.
A 4 x 8 aluminum sheet would cost as much or more,. and would rub off on the hands of your guests.
PVC foam board with a UV inhibitor maybe? Lloyd? You reading this. Does such an animal exist? Would it be worth it? How bad would it sag?
Keep the chairs and pitch the table?
Put a giant potted plant in the middle?
On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 11:10:13 AM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:

Craigslist. Habitate for Humanity store. Maybe get three bids from glass shops.
Dan
Tom Gardner wrote:

Ask on Freecycle. There is likely a local online garage sale or freebie group on Facebook, as well.

Tape the broken glass back together with duct tape, Tawm. Noone'll notice.
Plywood won't be as pretty, but it will work. House paint lasts a decade+. Prime it, paint it, and keep up the paint for a long lifetime, should you choose to go the redneck way.
--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Most of these glass tabletops are tempered glass. If you so much as chip an edge, they generally explode into thousands of granules. That would take a LOT of duct tape to put back together.
Jon
Jon Elson wrote:

If Tom were close enough, I would give him a complete table. It's never been outside. My dad bought it when he was staying here, and he left it behind when his new home was finished.

Thanks for the thought! It looks like pressure-treated ply is the best/cheapest.

Give it an exotic paint job and the fact that it's a cheapass piece of ply will fade into the background. Or buy a sheet of Baltic Birch and clearcoat it with epoxy for a beautiful wooden tabletop. BB ply is more stable and better made than most. Ditto veneer core veneer ply. I just bought a sheet of shop-grade MDF-core veneer ply for a cabinet door I'm making for a client and wouldn't _ever_ use it outside.
--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
On 8/20/2016 9:24 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

If I lived closer to you I'd just come to your place to party outside, make some sangria, I'll bring the steaks!

I'd nix the Sangria (recovering alcoholic here, y'know) but welcome you and your steaks. If you lived closer.
--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 15:03:31 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

I think Jon missed the fact that my facetiousity factor was set to 100% there.

Maybe he'll spend $500 to come pick it up to save the $125.
I thought of you when I saw this yesterday: http://newatlas.com/northwestern-bandage-diabetic-wounds/44974/
--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.
Larry Jaques wrote:

Are you sure? It read just over 107%, down here in the Deep South. ;-)

Sigh, No one wants it. Only two people from the group have ever stopped by, Karl Townsend and his wife, while they were on vacation a few years ago.

That sounds interesting, but how will it work on a deep ulcer?
On Sat, 20 Aug 2016 16:44:45 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"

Y'all always did exaggerate thangs.

Who wants to go to Flowda? All ya got there are retired Gnu Yawkuhs. Oh, and (illegal in Daytona) thong bikinis. Hmm...

If you can't brush it on, suck it up into a pressure washer and...
--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.

Did they get his silverware?
Tom Gardner wrote:

What silverware? They were driving from Gainesville, to South Florida to do some fishing. I don't live very far from I-75, so they stopped by to say hello.

In the 1980's I rebuilt my utility trailer with unpainted outdoor plywood from HD, probably pressure-treated. The bed is rough from hauling firewood and rocks but the toolbox is in fine condition, it's merely turned grey. --jsw

No problem at all. A plywood circle, sealed with epoxy resin - several coats. A coat or two of Epoxy High Build Primer, sand smooth and at least two coats of a two part poly paint. Probably list your lifetime. Shouldn't cost more than $500 - $700 :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Yeah, but Corian that size would cost him $450.
--
The great thing about getting older is that
you don't lose all the other ages you've been.

Site Timeline

  • - the site's newest thread. Posted in