Paint Strpper for aluminum?

Have a car rear window louver with baked on enamel. Started to sandblast, but I'll die of old age before it's finished. Lots of area. What's a good stripper for this(and I don't mean Sheila), that won't attack the AL? JR Dweller in the cellar

Reply to
JR North

JR North fired this volley in news:UbydneVx9Pneu1DXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@posted.isomediainc:

If it's really enamel, anything containing methylene chloride will do the trick quickly and cleanly.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

aircraft stripper

Reply to
ATP*

"ATP*" fired this volley in news:4acd2f01$0 $22521$ snipped-for-privacy@cv.net:

AKA methylene chloride gelled.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

This reminds me of the time I was making a frame out of some pre-coated square aluminum tube.

I sized all of the pieces on the mill nice and square and planned on hitting the ends with some paint stripper prior to welding them together.

It didn't work so well as I suspect it was some sort of powder coat finish, and I ended up grinding the stuff off.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

DOT 3 brake fluid works very well

Reply to
RBnDFW

I've heard that before & gave it a try. Didn't work for shit!

YMMV, Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

OK, went to HD and got a pint of Jasco Premium Paint/Epoxy Remover. It didn't just strip, it Ripped it off. Nasty stuff. I now have a bare Al louver, just waiting to refinish. JR Dweller in the cellar

JR North wrote:

Reply to
JR North

Wash real well with water and scrub with a scotchbrite pad. Use the right kind of primer for aluminum.

I would go to a place that sells auto paint to body shops and they can probably set you up with a couple of spray cans with the right primer and paint. be sure to ask there advice on the proper prep for bare aluminum as the stuff oxidizes really quick, so it can be tricky.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Most of the solvent-based strippers use wax as a thickening agent, make sure you use something to wash that off before finishing prep and painting. Body shop suppliers have some prep solvent that helps. If you don't get rid of the wax, you get fisheyes or worse when painting. There's usually a primer for aluminum in most of the finishing system types I've used, body shop suppliers will have it. If you don't mind refinishing it again in 2-3 years, you can just use off-the-shelf spray cans. That stuff doesn't last on auto bodies in my experience. If you use automotive paints, it's going to stand the gaff.

Stan

Reply to
stans4