Pay It Forward

This was a bit exceptional. I've done some like this, on odd occasions.

Christopher A. Young See me on the web

.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Miller" Newsgroups: alt.home.repair Sent: Saturday, October 08, 2011 8:46 PM Subject: Re: OT - welfare mentality

If I help someone with a dead battery in their car with my > jumper cables > or battery pack, I tell the to pass it on. Me and my buddy > gave a ride > to a young woman who ran out of gas to the closest service > station to > get gas for her car, same answer when she tried to pay us: > pass it on.

Yep.

In my younger days, I used to accept money, when it was offered, for helping stranded motorists with their cars. Then one winter, I was the stranded motorist: water pump failed out in the middle of nowhere in the hills of NW Pennsylvania, at about 2am on Dec. 26. Couldn't see any lights anywhere, so my wife and I spent the night in the car. When the sun came up, we were able to see a farmhouse a short distance away. So I walked up to the door and asked to use the phone.

That's all I asked for -- to use the phone.

Here's what we got:

They invited us in, and fixed a hot breakfast of bacon, eggs, pancakes, coffee for me, and cocoa for my wife. The man said there wouldn't be any nearby garages open the day after Christmas where I could get the car fixed. How about an auto parts store, I asked? I have the tools, I just need the part. He called around until he found a NAPA store about 10 miles away that was open, made sure they had what I needed, and drove me there. I had no credit cards, and not enough cash, and the store didn't want to take my out-of-state check; he told the manager that he'd guarantee my check. After we got back with the new water pump, he insisted on helping me change it out, at the side of the road, in freezing rain.

And they wouldn't take a penny.

Neither have I, ever since.

If anyone asks why, they hear that story. And I tell them to help the next person they see who needs it, and tell that person to pass it on. It'll come back around to me eventually. In fact, it already has, several times.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've never taken money for this sort of thing, and when offered it for help I've always refused and given some variation on the "pay it forward" spiel -- I couldn't imagine doing anything else.

I've never had an opportunity to help out as much as that farmer, although I've come close -- but I've gotten that much help myself (a spun trailer wheel bearing in Boise, on a Saturday evening, when I was barely

19 and driving alone, with a show just days away in the Midwest -- that would have been a nightmare had it not been for the nice guy who looked like Gunnar probably does now, with a shop to match).
Reply to
Tim Wescott

I drove with my kids to Florida, long time ago, stopped for breakfast in Podunk, Ga., on a Saturday morning and locked car keys in trunk! No locksmith open. Local gendarme was busy directing traffic for a funeral, but said he'd be over ASAP. Young deputy arrived and asked around for a slim-jim. Then called the station, but Billy Bob (real name) had the slim-jim. Deputy then drove 10 mi to the Ford dealership to get a new key. I still like getting off the Interstate and seeing what the country is like. Savannah, Ga., had the biggest palmetto bugs I've ever seen; hotel there had security guard wearing a gun. Hilton, I think, downtown. Heard gunfire nearby just as we were ready to get down to the pool....

Reply to
Norminn

You are so, so true. I've also found that, in my own life. I can't remember off hand which Bible writer quote "who lives by the sword, shall die by the sword", but that's also profound.

.

A VERY frequent saying of mine:

What goes around, comes around...eventually - GOOD AND BAD.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The proverb comes from the Gospel of Matthew, verse 26:52, which describes a disciple (identified in the Gospel of John as Peter) drawing a sword to defend against the arrest of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, but is rebuked by Jesus, who tells him to sheath the weapon:

Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword (Matthew 26:52, King James Version)

Reply to
Richard

Makes me wonder. Maybe the Warsaw Ghetto people had it wrong, and the "put up thy sword" Jews had it right?

Many examples of Mormons being driven out by mobs, and not firing back.

.

The proverb comes from the Gospel of Matthew, verse 26:52, which describes a disciple (identified in the Gospel of John as Peter) drawing a sword to defend against the arrest of Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, but is rebuked by Jesus, who tells him to sheath the weapon:

Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword (Matthew 26:52, King James Version)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 4/3/2012 8:36 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: > Makes me wonder. Maybe the Warsaw Ghetto people had it wrong, and the "put > up thy sword" Jews had it right? >

Yep. It's one of the things I've always admired in them.

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. James 1:22 (NIV)

Reply to
Richard

Which them? Ghetto resistance, or the Mormon lack of resistance?

.

On 4/3/2012 8:36 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: > Makes me wonder. Maybe the Warsaw Ghetto people had it wrong, and the "put > up thy sword" Jews had it right? >

Yep. It's one of the things I've always admired in them.

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. James 1:22 (NIV)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On 4/3/2012 9:41 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: > Which them? Ghetto resistance, or the Mormon lack of resistance? >

Let me ask you, Christopher? What would Jesus do?

Reply to
Richard

Didn't answer the question.

. On 4/3/2012 9:41 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: > Which them? Ghetto resistance, or the Mormon lack of resistance? >

Let me ask you, Christopher? What would Jesus do?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And I'll never catch in paying off things that people have done for me.

Reply to
grmiller

Except the Mountain Meadows Massacre when the Mormons did the killing.

anorton

You also need to be mindful of the person trying to "sow a seed", and if you refuse they may feel like they missed their opportunity to sow a seed.

If they insist, I take a minimum amount to not deny them their sowed seed.

Reply to
G. Morgan

The Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto uprising held out longer against the Germans than Poland itself.

Reply to
HeyBub

If they insist, I suggest a few dollars for gasoline. I used to limit it to two dollars, but I was working and didn't need their money. On the other hand, they wouldn't have offered, if they didn't want to and I didn't want to offend them.

I've only made one exception. An very nice older lady who lived across the street insisted that I take $50 when I was moving out of state, and told me that she would never forgive me if I didn't take it. Then she started crying and told me that I was one of a very few who took the time to visit her and her husband while he was dying of cancer. She said that he had dozens of relatives living in the same town, but all were 'too busy' to come see him before he died. He was a Veteran, and I enjoyed comparing his W.W.II and my Vietnam era experiences so I tried to stop by for a half hour, a couple times a week for his last six months.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Arf arf. In your rich fantasy life you can find jobs for meth heads! But in the real world you can't find a job for yourself.... for decades. The story could have been funnier though. How about next time you write that your intervention caused the meth heads to pay back a lifetime of deliquent taxes and mooched medical care.

Reply to
whoyakidding

That was really cool of you.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thank you. It's sad that some people 'don't have time' to drive a couple miles to see a close relative.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Arf arf arf! $94,000 per year net! That's more than I made and I drive a new car and live in nice house on a beautiful street with great neighbors. You drive what and live where and have what for neighbors now? Isn't it a an ugly beater and a mobile on a shit lot in a shit town with crack heads for neighbors or did I imagine you writing those details? Whoyakidding? I've seen links here to your decades of unpaid taxes and judgements and liens. I'd be surprised if you have a bank account because your creditors would surely put a lock on it.

Do you seriously want me to look up the links that have been posted here dozens of times? I'll do that if you keep pretending that I'm wrong about your miserable financial history Mr. Moneybags. Have you been able to afford your own internet account yet or are you still mooching off your neighbor?

Is this the same great cull that's been a year off for about 5 years, or a different one? Your threats are hilarious and you never learn.

Reply to
whoyakidding

Your nose must be a mile long! Anyone can pull up the 1 year old images in Google Earth of your 326 Olive Taft California shithole address and see that there are houses all around you. Who defends the quality of their neighborhood by bragging about crack houses burning down? A $75 an hour usenet nutcase who can't even afford his own internet connection!

They filed a 3rd 10 year extension on one of your liens only 9 months ago and they filed a brand new lien only 4 months ago! It's in GLORIOUS VBG color right there on the link above you crazy person!!! You can't afford your own internet connection but you make $75 an hour. You can't pay your most recent taxes but you're catching up on ONLY! 8 years of back taxes. The county loves you but they keep filing liens on you. Google is 6 years out of date and the county is 22 years out of date. WTF????? You must be completely bonkers to think that anyone believes a word out of your flapping gums!

Yeah yeah yeah you keep saying you're going to kill everyone who challenges your demented reality. I bet you'll be offering all the soldiers in your imaginary army $75 an hour! Glorious indeed.

Reply to
whoyakidding