Abbrev in time saves 9

TLA's and other Confusing Terms.

What is a TLA? Three letter acronym. Think IBM, ATT, NBI... ( actually NBI does not stand for anything anymore, but it used to .. ) Please contact me with any others you know to add to the list! I would love to add to this as time goes on.

ABM - Automatic Bread Machine

ADMIN - a relatively important message from your list moderators

AFAIK - As Far As I Know

B1G1F/BOFOF - Buy One Get One Free. Store promotional usually.

BIL - Brother-In-Law

- big grin

BTDT - Been There, Done That

BTW - By the Way

C/P or CP - Crockpot (a trademark of Rival) or any other type of slow cooker

CTR - Choose the Right

DCP - Day Care Provider

DD - Dear Daughter

DS - Dear Son

DH - Dear Husband (Darling, Dead, Doofus, it all depends on the context of the rest of the email.)

DW - Dear Wife

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

FHTS - Fit Hits the Shan (see SHTF)

FIL - Father-In-Law

Flame - An angry message directed at another person or people.

FUBAR - F***ed Up Beyond All Repair

FWIW - For What It's Worth

FYI - For Your Information

IMBY = In My BackYard

ISO - In Search Of

- Grin

GMTA = Great Minds think Alike

HTH - Hope This Helps

HS - Homeschool

JBT - Jack Booted Thugs (sometimes called LEO, slang for the ones that are not nice to deal with and take their job of protecting us into the extreme of becoming dictators.)

IIRC - If I Recall Correctly

IMHO - In My Humble (or Honest) Opinion

IMNSHO - In My Not So Humble (or Honest) Opinion

LDS - Latter Day Saints. Used in Reference to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

LEO - Law Enforcement Officer

LOL - Laughing out loud.

MC - Master Cook ~ Master Cook is recipe management software program by Sierra.

MIL - Mother-In-Law

MZB - Mutant Zombie Biker... Those who would come and take your hard earned food storage, and other items. Any invader who means to do you bodily or property harm. They usually wear black leather, sometimes sport body piercings, and mohawks... other times they wear suits and ties... another name for lawyers at times.

NAYY - Not Associated, Yadda, Yadda (a disclaimer)

NBI = National Business Institute

NIMBY = Not In My BackYard

OAMC - Once a month cooking ~ the term comes from the book "Once A Month Cooking" by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg

OT - off topic.

OTOH - On the Other Hand

REC - The post includes a recipe

RKBA - Right to Keep and Bear Arms

ROFL - Rolling On Floor Laughing

ROFLMAO - Rolling On Floor Laughing My AS* Off (also ROFLMBO - Rolling On Floor Laughing My Butt Off)

SAHM - Stay at Home Mom

SAHD - Stay at Home Dad

SAHH - Stay at Home Husband

SAHW - Stay at Home Wife

SHTF - S**t Hits the Fan

SIL - Sister-In-Law

SNAFU - Situation Normal, All F***ed Up

SO - Significant Other

Spam - Bulk email or Usenet posts that are massively crossposted or multi-posted. Some people call any out-of-place commercial post or email "spam."

TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

TEOTWAWKI - The end of the world as we know it

TIA - Thanks In Advance

TNT - Tried and True

TPTB - The Powers That Be

Troll - An insincere message, posted in hopes of upsetting people, inciting arguments, and stirring up trouble.

TTFN - Ta Ta For Now

TTYL - Talk To You Later

TVP/TSP - Textured Vegetable Protein/Texturized Soy Protein

TY - Thank You

Vent - A message to let off steam.

- very big grin

WAHM - Work At Home Mom

WAHD - Work At Home Dad

WAHW - Work At Home Wife

WAHH - Work At Home Husband

wicked evil grin

WW - Weight Watchers. "Points" on many recipes refer to the number of Weight Watcher points on the recipe, per serving. These relate to the WW 1, 2, 3, success program.

WWJD - What Would Jesus Do

XP - Cross post

XPOST - Cross post. Posted to more than one mailing list or newsgroup at a time

YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary (i.e. every family is different and what worked for me may not work for you)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here's a pile of text / sms acronyms for older folk (like many of you guys!)

FWIW: Forgot Where I Was

BTW: Bring The Wheelchair

ROFL... CGU: Rolling On The Floor Laughing... And Can't Get Up

DWI: Driving While Incontinent

LOL: Living On Lipitor

OMG: Oy, My Grandchildren!

OMG: Ouch, My Groin!

IMHO: Is My Hearing-Aid On?

WTF: What's Today's Fish?

WTF: Wet The Furniture

IMHMO: In My HMO...

RULKM: Are You Leaving Kids Money?

BYOT: Bring Your Own Teeth

GTG: Gotta Groan

TGIF: Thank Goodness It's Four (Four O'Clock - Early Bird Special)

FWB: Friend With Betablockers

FYI: For Your Indigestion...

JK: Just Kvetching

TTYL: Talk To You Louder

MILF: Meal I'd Like To Forget

LMDO: Laughing My Dentures Out

LWO: Lawrence Welk's On

MGAD: My Grandson's A Doctor

SUS: Speak Up, Sonny

WIWYA: When I Was Your Age

GOML: Get Off My Lawn

Reply to
Dennis

Now that I'm near to being a senior citizen, I should add a few to the list. WRC: Wig rong color. WBC: Whole bunch of carrots STP: Simply The Prunes And, the list grows. Thank you for your contribution.

.

[...]

Think someone beat you to it...

Have had this bookmarked for many years now... refer to it at least several times a week...

Erik

Reply to
Erik

wtf?

Reply to
mike

I'm going to toss mine in as well.

TLA Three Letter Abbreviations. Everybody knows that one.

But LFLA?

Longer Four Letter Abbreviations!

:)

Reply to
Richard

I thought that was Three Letter Acronyms. Art

Reply to
Artemus

YASR TIMI FLAR

(You are so right! That is much improved. Four letter acronyms rule.)

.

TLA Three Letter Abbreviations. Everybody knows that one.

But LFLA?

Longer Four Letter Abbreviations!

:)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The mental image leaves a nasty taste in your mouth hey!

Reply to
Dennis

Stickler...

Reply to