Picture from 1943 -- children making electric motor windings

Picture has both historical as well as educational value

Ignoramus23382

I couldn't stop looking at the pictures. Some great B/W photography.

Thanks Iggy.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

I could not stop looking either. It was obviously cold at that factory. Another metalworking picture is here:

(boy learns how to make thread with a hand die)

boy with a horizontal mill

(the caption says he produced 200% of his norm. 1942)

Metal casting

says the guy on the right was severely injured in a factory accident

Women miners before descending into a mine shaft (a little hard to believe as they appear to be removing small castings from a die/forge). Maybe the journalists had no more clue then, as now.

Worker working on a turret lathe

Women stick welding tank obstacles, 1941. The welding cables look to be in bad shape.

British and American shipsin Murmansk port

Russians driving a US made tank in Russia

Soviet and American troops link up in Germany, 1945 (veterans day related)

Ignoramus23382

i enjoyed seeing the pics iggy, thanks for the link. the pics of the kids during the war brought tears to my eyes. (seems to me we didn't see many of those pics here, maybe they didn't want to humanize russians) i clicked and clicked. lots of good pics. just wanted to post a link to one. nice looking planes. i wonder if the things on the outboard leading edge were slats to improve lift.

i was using google to "translate".

there's some cute ladies in the pics too.

check out this guy making pineapples.

and this lady inspecting tiki lamps

William Wixon

Those kids are all old people now. I read everything I can put my hands on, about WWII.

Try this one, soldiers returning from war are received by women, very cute and horny looking.

Ignoramus23382

yeah, they are cute! so pretty. the thing that always amazes me, don't know why, women were as beautiful then as they are now.

Reply to
William Wixon

Humm...different standards I guess. After looking closely..I see 2 that are even close to the low range of pretty, most being in the catagory of Babuska.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Oops, can't check this at work, the company server blocked it as Porn.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Very cool. Thanks Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Hey Iggy,

I notice in many of the pix there are young people with VERY short hair, almost like shaved and growing out now. Some are adults, but most appeared to be children. Is there any comment in the captions as to why this is/was. Health issues? Just style of the day? Indicates Jews, or some other "needs-to-be-identified" group? Something else?

I'm sure we all recall seeing pix of French citizens who had there heads shaved for being "collaborators", but that was so they would be shamed and shunned. I doubt that would be the case here.

Super bunch of pix though. Have you gone through the whole lot, and if so roughly how many pix are there? How did you find this site? Looks like a museum site to me.

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. Bothwell, Ontario

Reply to
Brian Lawson

Probably for lice prevention. That would be my guess based on what I know. No one needed to identify Jews on the Soviet side of the front. Lice were everywhere at the time.

I doubt either, I think that the problem was lice and keeping kids' hair short was the easiest solution. Even now, lice appear once in a while, but at least now there are better medicines or something. I believe that at that time, kerosene was used to kill off lice eggs.

I went through almost the entire site, saved up some pictures also for my future reference. I wasted my entire evening on it yesterday.

Ignoramus9314

Style and lice control

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I tried to use two free translation web sites to translate the text. Only a few words were translated. Any thoughts?

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

The caption said "children learning how to wind an electric motor".

Ignoramus9314

Daughters frontline soldiers Hog M. and O. Bergamok pass production practices in the windings of electric motors combine Training Mosgorsobesa

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Change the id=522 to id=1 and you can view photos 1 through 995 that way... At least I think there were 995....

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Using Explorer, you can right click the page and translate via the "Page Info" then "Translate Page into English" option...

After translating it, hold the mouse over the photo for a more detailed English note that I can't seem to cut and paste here no matter what forms of internet-trickery I try.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Do you read Russian? I would like to look more at the site but backing up to the "index" part of the URLs I couldn't figure out what to click on to peruse the pix. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Yes, I do read Russian, I can imagine it is too hard to go through it without being able to read the captions and such.

Ignoramus9314

( WOW!!!!) I just spent an hour looking at that and still havent seen all of them. Some good shots of FDR, Churchill, and uncle Joe. A lot of the Nuremberg trial and some of the blody bodies that resulted from it. Wonder who the four gloomy looking krauts are in #334 must be prisoners. Have to send this to my soninlaw, he's into Russian history. Thabnks Iggy. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick