Picture from 1943 -- children making electric motor windings

Picture has both historical as well as educational value
http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_idR2

Ignoramus23382 wrote:

I couldn't stop looking at the pictures. Some great B/W photography.
Thanks Iggy.

I could not stop looking either. It was obviously cold at that factory. Another metalworking picture is here:
http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_idS9 (boy learns how to make thread with a hand die)
boy with a horizontal mill http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_id 5 (the caption says he produced 200% of his norm. 1942)
Metal casting http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_idW9 Caption says the guy on the right was severely injured in a factory accident
Women miners before descending into a mine shaft (a little hard to believe as they appear to be removing small castings from a die/forge). Maybe the journalists had no more clue then, as now. http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_idW9
Worker working on a turret lathe http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_id `9
Women stick welding tank obstacles, 1941. The welding cables look to be in bad shape. http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_ida3
British and American shipsin Murmansk port http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_id82
Russians driving a US made tank in Russia http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_id83
Soviet and American troops link up in Germany, 1945 (veterans day related) http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_id88

i enjoyed seeing the pics iggy, thanks for the link. the pics of the kids during the war brought tears to my eyes. (seems to me we didn't see many of those pics here, maybe they didn't want to humanize russians) i clicked and clicked. lots of good pics. just wanted to post a link to one. nice looking planes. i wonder if the things on the outboard leading edge were slats to improve lift.
http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_idX7
i was using google to "translate".
there's some cute ladies in the pics too.
check out this guy making pineapples. http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_id `9
and this lady inspecting tiki lamps http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_ida0

Those kids are all old people now. I read everything I can put my hands on, about WWII.

Try this one, soldiers returning from war are received by women, very cute and horny looking.
http://victory.rusarchives.ru/index.php?p1&photo_idB0

yeah, they are cute! so pretty. the thing that always amazes me, don't know why, women were as beautiful then as they are now.
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 06:22:53 GMT, "William Wixon"

Humm...different standards I guess. After looking closely..I see 2 that are even close to the low range of pretty, most being in the catagory of Babuska.
Gunner

Oops, can't check this at work, the company server blocked it as Porn.
On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:38:14 -0600, Ignoramus23382

Hey Iggy,
I notice in many of the pix there are young people with VERY short hair, almost like shaved and growing out now. Some are adults, but most appeared to be children. Is there any comment in the captions as to why this is/was. Health issues? Just style of the day? Indicates Jews, or some other "needs-to-be-identified" group? Something else?
I'm sure we all recall seeing pix of French citizens who had there heads shaved for being "collaborators", but that was so they would be shamed and shunned. I doubt that would be the case here.
Super bunch of pix though. Have you gone through the whole lot, and if so roughly how many pix are there? How did you find this site? Looks like a museum site to me.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. Bothwell, Ontario

Probably for lice prevention. That would be my guess based on what I know. No one needed to identify Jews on the Soviet side of the front. Lice were everywhere at the time.

I doubt either, I think that the problem was lice and keeping kids' hair short was the easiest solution. Even now, lice appear once in a while, but at least now there are better medicines or something. I believe that at that time, kerosene was used to kill off lice eggs.

I went through almost the entire site, saved up some pictures also for my future reference. I wasted my entire evening on it yesterday.
Ignoramus9314 wrote:

Do you read Russian? I would like to look more at the site but backing up to the "index" part of the URLs I couldn't figure out what to click on to peruse the pix. ...lew...

Yes, I do read Russian, I can imagine it is too hard to go through it without being able to read the captions and such.
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:48:32 -0700, Lew Hartswick

Try running it through Babelfish. Like this:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=ru_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvictory.rusarchives.ru%2Findex.php%3Fp%3D31%26photo_id%3D522
It that doesn't work, go to this link:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr
and paste the original link into the "Translate a Web page" box. Set the drop-down menu to "Russian to English" and hit the Translate button.
It is far from being perfect, but you should get the gist of it...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Style and lice control
Gunner

Change the idR2 to id=1 and you can view photos 1 through 995 that way... At least I think there were 995....
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
On Nov 12, 5:34 pm, Ignoramus23382 <ignoramus23...@NOSPAM. 23382.invalid> wrote:

Very cool. Thanks Karl
On Nov 12, 7:34 pm, Ignoramus23382 <ignoramus23...@NOSPAM. 23382.invalid> wrote:

I tried to use two free translation web sites to translate the text. Only a few words were translated. Any thoughts?
Paul

The caption said "children learning how to wind an electric motor".

Daughters frontline soldiers Hog M. and O. Bergamok pass production practices in the windings of electric motors combine Training Mosgorsobesa
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

Using Explorer, you can right click the page and translate via the "Page Info" then "Translate Page into English" option...
After translating it, hold the mouse over the photo for a more detailed English note that I can't seem to cut and paste here no matter what forms of internet-trickery I try.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.