new metalworking tool

Found this on the Seattle Times web page:

Revenge of the lug nut: Kitsap County man gets hurt when he blasts car wheel with shotgun

The Associated Press

SOUTHWORTH, Kitsap County - A man trying to loosen a stubborn lug nut blasted the wheel with a 12-gauge shotgun, injuring himself badly in both legs, Kitsap County sheriff's deputies said.

The 66-year-old man had been repairing a Lincoln Continental for two weeks at his home northwest of Southworth and east of Port Orchard and had gotten all but one of the lug nuts off the right rear wheel before getting frustrated Saturday afternoon, Deputy Scott Wilson said.

"He's bound and determined to get that lug nut off," Wilson said.

From about arm's length, the man fired the shotgun at the wheel and

was "peppered" in both legs with shot and other debris, with some injuries as high on his body as his chin, according to a sheriff's office report.

"Nobody else was there and he wasn't intoxicated," Wilson said.

South Kitsap Fire and Rescue personnel treated the man at the scene before he was taken to Tacoma General Hospital with injuries Wilson described as "severe but not life-threatening."

Copyright © 2007 The Seattle Times Company

Reply to
co_farmer

So, did the wheel explode on him also? Or was it just the ricocheting stuff?

Ignoramus23382

I have been in that state of mind at times in my life. I was just lucky that I didn't get caught, as this guy did.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

(clip)The 66-year-old man had been repairing a Lincoln (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ We were probably educated in the same movie theaters as kids. I recall that in the cowby pictures at that time, it was common for someone to shoot the lock off a door to gain entrance.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Though shalt not fire lead shot into a dish.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Reply to
Buy_Sell

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:32:23 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus23382 quickly quoth:

Probably just ricochet. The curved profile and lip of the wheel would act as a reverse track for it, channeling the shot. Whadda maroon.

Lest some others here try it, get one of these first:

-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Looks like a very clever invention.

Ignoramus9314

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 07:43:51 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus9314 quickly quoth:

It looks to be a planetary gear setup.

-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Education cures ignorance......

Stupidity is forever!

I hope the dumb S.O.B. limps for the rest of his life due to his stupidity.

Reply to
*

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Hmmm. A five pound hammer and a cold chisel has never failed to work for me. Split the nut, then replace the stud if it was spinning or if your aim was off a skosh.

Reply to
D Murphy

On 17 Nov 2007 04:44:14 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, D Murphy quickly quoth:

I've never seen a spinning stud, only a threadless nut spinning on a good stud. I guess it could happen, though. More often than not, the lugnut welds itself to the wheel, not the stud.

-- After all, it is those who have a deep and real inner life who are best able to deal with the irritating details of outer life. -- Evelyn Underhill

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My 16" breaker bar does the job on car wheels. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller