Pictures -- was Can a hard bearing ball be welded to mild steel

Tig works nicely, as does brazing and even mig and stick

> > Tig would be prettier >

Here's the end result with TIG.

Ignoramus20172

Very nice! The first thing I learned about a vise was not to stand next to it when spinning the handle.

Reply to
Buerste

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 01:49:56 -0400, the infamous "Buerste" scrawled the following:

I especially liked his use of the 1" filler rod. ;-/

Did I just hear you type that in a soprano voice, Tawm?

-- Change is the process by which the future invades our lives. -- Alvin Toffler

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Isn't it funny that there are things you just don't forget...EVER!

Reply to
Buerste

Last night I used a big slide hammer that I made in high school, 1975. I didn't know at the time that the weight need flanges on the ends. You remember it when one of these pinches you.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I hope you took the opportunity to make a couple flanges and bolt or weld them on to prevent future mishaps.

Reply to
Pete C.

Sweet,

How did you get it to stay put when welding it ?

/FC...

Reply to
Jman

Nice, but your bench is way too uncluttered.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Iggy posted:

Iggy, I like you OK; OK? I think other folks bear down too hard on you for being, well, Iggy.

But, guy, that's an UGLY job of filleting those balls on that bar. If you'd pocketed the ends of the bar first, the balls would have fit tight, and you could've soldered them with an almost invisible joint.

(I don't criticize others' welding too much, 'cause I'm not very good at it either. But you did put it up for critiques.)

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Jeff, I spent a month working feverishly to de-clutter and reorganize.

Reply to
Ignoramus11000

Lloyd, nothing to say, you are right. I have never soldered steel stuff.

Reply to
Ignoramus11000