Pinging IGOR

Igor,

I've just spotted a die for your crimper. (Found while looking for ones for mine.)

From the table which I posted before, it is this line:

#2 Red 47855 & 48755-1 MOD.V

eBay auction #4602023031

And -- as it has the original box, it probably also has the data sheet which includes information on how to mount and unmount the dies from the crimper.

Prices are reasonable if not spectacular for the item in question.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Don, thanks, although to me the price is quite high. I will think very hard about bidding on this die, I got the crimper for just $26 or so plus shipping. I am not a pro user and do not expect to make money from this die. In any case, I am very grateful for you looking at these dies and remembering me.

Is it true that this die can also handle 1 gauge cable?

Ignoramus30282

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

I understand. But you have to realize that you got your crimper and its die at a real steal. I've bid over $200.00 just to get a crimp head (it happened to have dies which matched what I already had).

And remember that this will also give you the data sheet which goes with the crimper and dies.

I have no idea. I've never tried. It is only marked for 2 Ga, as the others are only marked for 4 Ga. 6 Ga. and 8 Ga.

I'm not sure that I've ever *seen* 1 Ga. wire. The wires and the crimpers tend to go in steps of 2, until you get to the "?-0" series, starting with just plain "0" (also sometimes called "1-0".

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That's interesting. Seems to suggest that I paid that low a price because it was misdescribed. I had no idea at the time.

I have 1 gauge on my welding machine. That's the reason for my question. I will need to crimp 1 ga cables soon if things go well.

Ignoramus30282

[ ... ]

Misdescribed -- or perhaps just nobody wanted it more than you did at the time. I don't remember the details of the auction.

Well ... try getting some #2 terminals and seeing whether they can be slid onto your #1 cable. (You might be able to by removing the outer layer of wires to reduce the diameter just a little for that short distance.)

Or -- keep your eyes open for a hydraulic head and dies for 1-0 wire, and plan to *add* a layer of extra conductors around the existing wire to build it up to size.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Here's the auction. Looks like no one wanted it.

Yes. Looks like the seller will not sell it, I will ask him to sell to me for less after the auction closes.

Thanks Don. I think that I rather like your previous idea about trimming the outer conductors a little bit.

Ignoramus14714

Very well described.

I was surprised that the auction was still visible. I thought that they were fading out sooner than that.

However -- one benefit from this one was the link to Tycho's web site (they own AMP these days).

The link points to:

and from there, entering the part number "48755-1" gets to a page which offers three documents in your choice of PDF or TIF format. One of those is the data sheet/manual for the crimping dies. Right-click on the binoculars column and save the PDF file to your system. The same for the others which you may wish to have. (They are small.)

Then repeat this after backing up to the search page, this time using the part number "59974-1", to get the manual for a similar if not identical crimper.

This gives you the data sheets without me having to scan them, and with AMP's blessing.

[ ... ]

He did not sell it, so you *may* have a chance -- depending on whether he knows what it is worth.

It depends on how much you need the full current-carrying capacity, of course.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

[...]

Newsgroups: alt.machines.cnc,rec.crafts.metalworking Subject: Re: OT: free software features survey References:

According to F. George McDuffee :

That sounds nice.

Will there be provisions for calculating a tool path from the radius of the tool and the edge of what is to be cut?

A nice feature, indeed.

Aha -- the "towel rack" plotters.

Hmm ... with curves, and with a machine with limited memory (such as the EMCO-MAIER machines), you could easily overflow the program memory with such programs.)

If I can make it able to be run on my systems, yes. (*Not* Windows or DOS.)

Hmm ... the cut-n-paste might be sufficient.

I would want one which I could compile under my unix systems, which has a major impact on your next question.

QuickBasic would not work on a unix system, or on other's Mac systems, so that limits somewhat the list of those who would be able to benefit.

I presume that you don't know 'C', so you would have a significant learning curve to surmount with that.

This probably eliminates me from your audience.

I would certainly want metric as well as Imperial units.

Hmm ... that would be quite nice for engraving scales on machine dials. But -- it might be difficult to integrate with the rest of the system, depending on the controller.

The ISO would be preferred -- especially if you retain the ability to generate the implied decimal point fixed format that the Emco-Maier machines used.

That remains to be seen. :-)

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols