Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

When the family makes a road trip I bring along a 12v 4 amp cooler. The cig gie plug melted long ago and I wired up one of those 3/16" cannon shaped co
nnectors used for low voltage home stuff like laptops, external HDs etc. It also gets very hot and is starting to melt. What's a good off-the-shelf so lution which doesn't take up much room? The whole ciggie plug thing is the dumbest convention ever, I must say. I can't believe it's still extant.
On Thursday, April 9, 2015 at 3:38:43 AM UTC-5, robobass wrote:

iggie plug melted long ago and I wired up one of those 3/16" cannon shaped connectors used for low voltage home stuff like laptops, external HDs etc. It also gets very hot and is starting to melt. What's a good off-the-shelf solution which doesn't take up much room? The whole ciggie plug thing is th e dumbest convention ever, I must say. I can't believe it's still extant.
I would use appliance cord like an extension cord. Along with an inline fuse.
robobass wrote:

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/singlepole-connectors.html
--
Steve W.

Andersens are great electrically but difficult to mount in a panel or connect by feel in the dark, and not sealed against dirt or liquids such as spray cleaner. Crimping the 45 Amp pins is difficult without the expensive special tool, so I use the 30A pins and solder them carefully at the front end, not allowing solder to wick all the way through which would create a brittle weak spot. If deformed by crimping they may not fully seat and then pull out of the housing when disconnected. As with all connectors they should be checked with a pull test. How hard to pull is something you learn on the job from the foreman.
A decent lighter plug shouldn't overheat from 4A, or 10A. The trick is fnding a good one. They do have the advantages of dust caps, no sharp protrusions, and being easy to connect by feel with one hand.
-jsw

I agree with robobass, I cannot believe that this retardation is allowed to flourish in the 21st century.

There are many other connectors competing to become the standard for low voltage DC, but none are as easy to insert blindly with one gloved hand while driving. http://radioactivemodels.ie/store/product_info.php?products_id 63 http://www.civicsolar.com/resource/types-solar-pv-connectors-and-couplers http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_connector
-jsw
On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 21:33:41 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

The co-axial plug isn't a whole lot better than the cig lighter plug, and in many ways is not as good. A non-fused cig lighter plug is good for 30 amps. Most co-axials are good for 5 amps max. Rumour is there is a 15 amp version - I haven't seen one yet.
If you want high current reliability there is only one name - power-pole from Anderson.

I have hard times imagining that the humanity cannot invent something better.
Even I can invent something better that can be inserted with a gloved hand in the dark.
Hint, it can be a coaxial twist-lock connector.

Are you talking about "SpeakOn" connectors? I thought of that, and actually have some lying around. They would be easy to use and very solid. A huge improvement I think. I'm gonna try "AmpSuperseal" though. I don't need to work dark with gloves on.

If you make it able to deliver 20-30A for a transmitter, inverter, fridge or faster air compressor, with screw terminals and strain relief for 12 AWG wire and an internal fuse to protect thinner wire, it won't be much smaller.
If you don't double or triple the present 120W power limit there's insufficient reason to change.
I added Anderson cables that I can connect to the battery without tools, via a wingnut on the Ford's starter solenoid and a spare underhood fusebox lug on the car. The negative lead is permanently connected since it isn't a fire hazard.
-jsw
Look at welding cable plug/sockets.
Lots of power - easy to attach and mount. Just a smaller hole and plug and harder to find in the dark.
It was also invented before welding machines.
Auto stuff was designed to last in TIME. Martin
On 4/10/2015 7:35 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

If you want maximum performance you can specify military circular connectors. We did for the electric car's battery cables. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Military_connector_specifications
-jsw
On Saturday, April 11, 2015 at 4:24:47 AM UTC-7, Jim Wilkins wrote: [about automobile/DC power connectors]

It's cheaper to select from consumer-goods parts. Maybe these:
<http://www.pimfg.com/Product/Power-Cable-Connectors

Yeah. Those are actually called Speak-On. Invented by Neutrix and the indus try standard for PA speakers. Way better than the ciggie plug system. About the same size, though. I didn't know they were in use for other purposes, but it makes sense. They are cheap, reliable, and available in 2, 4, or 8 p ole.
As to cars without ciggie plugs. Maybe there isn't an actual lighter and as htray, but it's still the same socket, isn't it? My whole point is that may be it's time for a different 12v connector protocol in cars. Sometimes I ju st can't seem to adequately explain my ideas. I must be just dumb or gettin g Alzheimers...or?
Those are good plugs, but if you add half a dozen to carry the current, that is a code violation in many places.
Martin
On 4/11/2015 6:24 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

One large pin carried the full current. I needed a 100W iron to solder it.
-jsw
On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 22:32:13 -0500, Martin Eastburn

I don't know why this keeps coming up. Remember, folks:
Thou shalt not take your eyes off the road to plug accessories into plugs while driving, dark or not.
Nexxxxxxxxxxxxt!
--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

    If they're like the ones which I know -- there is another disadvantage in the dark, You've got two separate connectors, for ground and hot, and how do you see which color you're plugging into which socket? :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

There ARE polarized welding plugs. 2 different size barrels and sockets.
I think I've got it. Something called AMP-SUPERSEAL, which I gather is wide ly used in cars and consequently super-cheap online. You can even get all k inds of rubber housings for it if you want to get extreme, but the basic 2- pole unit looks like enough for me. I know that the ciggie plug thing can b e made to work, but it's partly an aesthetic thing and partly size. We some times go tent camping on the Dutch coast in my little Alfa Romeo wagon, and we number five including the Au Pair. The glove box in that car is exactly what it says - just big enough for some gloves and a few maps! Get a bigge r car? Sure, but my parking spot in central Cologne is just big enough for the car I have, and I'd rather drive an Alfa than almost anything else with four doors.