Slightly OT - Good connector for high load car accessories?

I think I've got it. Something called AMP-SUPERSEAL, which I gather is widely used in cars and consequently super-cheap online. You can even
get all kinds of rubber housings for it if you want to get extreme, but the basic 2-pole unit looks like enough for me. I know that the ciggie plug thing can be made to work, but it's partly an aesthetic thing and partly size. We sometimes go tent camping on the Dutch coast in my little Alfa Romeo wagon, and we number five including the Au Pair. The glove box in that car is exactly what it says - just big enough for some gloves and a few maps! Get a bigger car? Sure, but my parking spot in central Cologne is just big enough for the car I have, and I'd rather drive an Alfa than almost anything else with four doors.
=============That looks like a very good solution for you.
A vehicle battery can be either the source or the load (for a charger) so I like genderless Andersons for connections I'd make with both hands while parked, such as a battery charger or winch. Then the charger's outlet mates with the portable cooler's inlet to precool it at home and either can connect to the battery. A DC power meter which reads current in only one direction can be plugged in between them either way, to measure charge or discharge.
I added a lighter outlet with a cover instead of an Anderson to the tractor to plug in the flasher because mowing fills everything with dust, and I plug in the flasher with one hand while driving. I have to be careful using the outlet to charge the battery because the male lighter plug would be hot on two exposed terminals if connected to the charger first.
-jsw
I have to

Yeah, and I don't know what kind of lighter plugs you use, but capacity mig ht also be an issue. Anyway, I maintain that ciggie plugs are just dumb. Th e only reason we have them is because the socket is already there, but it w asn't intended to supply juice to accessories, let alone accept it for char ging.
I have to

Yeah, and I don't know what kind of lighter plugs you use, but capacity might also be an issue. Anyway, I maintain that ciggie plugs are just dumb. The only reason we have them is because the socket is already there, but it wasn't intended to supply juice to accessories, let alone accept it for charging.
======The lighter outlet on the dash of my car is fused too small to operate a cigarette lighter anyway; it's -only- for accessories. There's also one in the back for a portable cooler I use for summer grocery shopping. The plug has never been hot when disconnected.
The other connector options require you to look at them to orient them correctly, which you can't do while driving at night. I can plug the flasher into the lighter outlet on my tractor with one gloved hand while bouncing around and watching where I'm going. I couldn't with any of the other choices of DC power connector such as the airplane outlet I'm fiddling with blindly. It has two wrong positions that feel like it might go in if pushed harder.
The two-pin trailer connector sees some use for 12V power. Be sure that +12V is on the insulated pin. (Amazon.com product link shortened)
-jsw
On Thu, 9 Apr 2015 11:53:05 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

My HF set (with that connector style) was wired backwards by _design_. Flock op, so solly. Once I reversed the wiring on the lighter plug, all was well with the world...and the set. <sigh>
Caution is advised, as they're limited to lower current draws.
--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

    Of course, the lighter plug was originally designed simply to power a cigarette lighter for a number of seconds (something like 15 to 30, at a guess), and the connector was capable of handling that without problems.
    However, when you get to long-term draw -- that is beyond its design capability.
    And as for why it is on cars today -- even cars which come *without* a cigarette lighter -- it is because it has been in cars for long enough so people have found other uses for it -- whether it is well designed for the purpose or not -- it gets *used* for those extra purposes, and people complain if it is not present. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Well sure, but the customer has no alternative. And a modern family will wa nt to plug in many things. Navigator, portable DVD, phone charger... You st art accumulating ciggie plug extensions and end up with wires and oversized connectors all over the place. I'm sure the industry is aware of the probl em, but it's hard to revise a standard which has been there so long, not ma tter how bad it is. A revision would not only need cooperation between manu facturers of both cars and devices, but also woukd require rule changes by regulatory bodies in many countries. Fortunately, since I have a soldering iron, I don't need to wait another twenty years.
Are there really cars without cigarette lighters?

Well sure, but the customer has no alternative. And a modern family will want to plug in many things. Navigator, portable DVD, phone charger... You start accumulating ciggie plug extensions and end up with wires and oversized connectors all over the place. I'm sure the industry is aware of the problem, but it's hard to revise a standard which has been there so long, not matter how bad it is. A revision would not only need cooperation between manufacturers of both cars and devices, but also woukd require rule changes by regulatory bodies in many countries. Fortunately, since I have a soldering iron, I don't need to wait another twenty years.
Are there really cars without cigarette lighters?
This is an aftermarket cigarette lighter to replace the factory power outlet: http://www.hondapartssuperstore.com/cigarette-lighter-2006-2014-honda-ridgeline-p-304.html

Jim, I maybe didn't make myself clear in my other posts, but I'm actually kind of against cigarette lighter plugs, and am seeking an alternative. The socket in my car is fine, btw.

Well... I have to agree... I'm against MOST of the 'plugs', but the sockets are reasonably well-suited to the purposes for which they were intended.
Most of the plugs, on the other hand, are cheaply made. But there are some 'professional duty' lighter plugs, with retractile side contacts (so there never are two 'hots' exposed on an unplugged plug), fusing, and robust-enough construction to hold up to thousands of manual pluggings and unpluggings.
You won't find them on WalMart hardware, though. Seldom on anything but EMS equipment, and/or military grade stuff.
Lloyd

Some mid-sized inverters come with decent high-current lighter plugs that can be adapted for general use with Andersons.
-jsw

I don't like them either, but all the alternatives have their own disadvantages on a dashboard. The other high-current vehicle panel outlet and plug, for trailers, is even larger. Pigtail plugs like OBDII are fine as long as the driver doesn't have to connect them.
My solar system uses 2-pin trailer connectors outdoors, banana jacks at the wall plate, small Andersons in the charging wiring and large ones to the UPS, and a lighter socket for the voltmeter or the laptop DC supply. Each is a good choice for where it is.
-jsw
On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 06:34:09 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

I have some of the oft mentioned powerpoles, including a flange mount socket. They work ok and handle the current, but as another poster said, aren't that easy to plug in.
About my favorite for RC batteries is the old Deans Ultra Plug. Tiny and very high current for the size. But hard to plug or un-plug because of the spring tension and difficulty in getting a grasp of the tiny things. Also never seen a panel mount Deans.
You might look at marine stuff. Don't get the Marinco cigarette style plug. Pain to wire and use.
http://www.downwindmarine.com/DC-Connectors-amp-Plugs-p-1-c-423.html
Pete Keillor
I used Anderson in my RC 2Meter sail plane - taking my 8 cell C size Ni-cads to my special built Cobalt etc motor. Motor sucked electrons like college kids and booze on the beach.
I could drive it to 2000 feet three times using my 12" floppy propeller.
I'm retired from all of that now. But I used high tech silver plated connectors for my 1000 strand copper wire. Wire was like a noodle. I never had an RF sniffer around it but I suspect it was Noisy...
Martin
On 4/10/2015 7:53 AM, Pete Keillor wrote:

What would you have cars have ? 120V AC running around the young kids in the back ?
Actually the voltage is going up and up soon. Local areas will have power supplies for local needs. Small high voltage wire will carry the power needed. Getting rid of heavy lots of copper wire.
Get ready. Times are a changing.
Martin
On 4/10/2015 2:00 AM, robobass wrote:

On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 22:36:33 -0500, Martin Eastburn

Well, there are cars without lighters - and even cars without "auxilliary power outlets". There are also cars with 120VAC outlets in the dash and/or rear cargo area.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca formulated the question :

Name them please.
--
John G Sydney.

John G wrote:

Honda Odyssey, Acura MDX, Toyota Sienna, Dodge Caliber, Dodge Ram P/U, Chrysler T&C, Jeep Patriot, VW Jetta Wagon, Ford Flex as a start. Most are nothing more than a 200 - 300 watt inverter stuck in there and the outlets remote connected. I used a 500 watt in the work van for years. Was handy to charge batteries and power the laptop.
--
Steve W.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/poweroutlet.html
On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 07:01:45 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
someone said:

Egad, a massive 100w? What -can't- we use there? <bseg> I guess you could plug your electric shaver in that. Or your corded electric toothbrush, or a night light!
--
It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.

Well, I KNOW the 2013 Durango had a 150 watt 120 volt AC outlet standard in all but the low end SXT, Ford Flex has it too (or did in 2013). 2014 Toyota 4-runner has one too, So did the Nissan Pathfinder.Also available in the 2015 GMC Acadia. Starting in 2010 it was available (100 watt only) in the Subaru Imprezza and outback.The Hyundai SantaFe also has or had it available, either as standard or optional equipment. It is also in the Veloster. I know it is also availble as a factory option on the Silverado/Sierra pickups and the Suburbans.
I'm sure they are in a lot of other vehicles as well. The GMC Hybrid pickup had I believe 1500 watts of AC available for the 2 years it was built. You could run a Skill Saw off of it.