Can I use this P&W 2A jig borer as a milling machine

Here's a jig borer
http://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/auction-catalogues/koster-industries/catalogue-id-bscko10158/lot-956c80e1-ef57-4a53-b619-a45d0113f121
I won it for $50 bucks.
Before I scrap this thing, I wanted to know if perhaps I can use it as a milling machine, since it has a DRO. Thanks
On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 18:00:34 -0500, Ignoramus1742

Watch out for the tooling -- it requires special P&W collets.
Like any classic jig borer, the spindle is great for accuracy but not so much for handling lateral loads. It's made for drilling and boring holes.
--
Ed Huntress

Yes, I know, but it does come with collets and such.

So, what would happen if I start milling with it, collets will fall out or spindle would fail, or what>
On Thu, 09 Apr 2015 19:28:41 -0500, Ignoramus1742

'Can't tell you specifically. Back when I was reporting on these things, the transition from jig borers to jig mills (like the DeVlieg) was a subject of a lot of discussion about spindle bearings and spindle diameters, spindle-bearing arrangements, and so on. The fact is that jig borer spindles are made for highly accurate drilling and boring, and just aren't designed to take much of a side load.
--
Ed Huntress

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?fC&t7346 "This vee type of way system does not handle heavy side loading while moving like the box and dovetail."

Well... of course you CAN use it as a mill, Ig. But it's DAMNED big, and DAMNED heavy. How much milling of the sorts of sizes and weights that thing will handle do you actually do?
I would think something more like a common BP mill would suit. You can always rip the DRO and scales off that unit before scrapping it.
Lloyd
On 2015-04-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

I do not do any heavy milling, just for maintenance purposes or some such, the biggest would be a 3/4" end mill.

I always take DROs off...