please help: shop supply - DuPont teflon/krytox grease?

I made a note to myself a few weeks/months ago to pick up some DuPont teflon or Krytox grease. Looks like very expensive stuff, but I can't for the life of me imagine what I was needing it for. Does anyone know what this is commonly used for?

I know it's a nearly ideal o-ring lubricant - are you supposed to lubricate the O-rings used on Victor hand torches maybe?

I googled the groups I normally follow and even one or two I occasionally check in on, but ??

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

It is used to prevent silicone rubber components from adhering to each other. One of the few lubricants allowed to be used on the front end of an ICBM, in case you are building those in your shop. I think it is also used as a lubricant on disk brakes. Not on the bracking surfaces, but on the metal so the forces are equal.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

We all know he's building an ICBM, what we want to know is where he plans on aiming it...

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

It is expensive stuff. I'm not sure what you may have needed it for, but I know that Krytox is used a great deal in vacuum applications. We use lots of it where I work to lube o-rings in our vacuum chambers and to lube bearings, gears and whatever that must run in a high-vac enviroment. You building a vacuum chamber, perhaps?

I did not know about that ICBM thing. Fascinating...

Reply to
Al A.

And -- how much accuracy we can expect from it. If it is pretty good, we don't need to move too far. If it is terrible, all of us need to worry. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

One guess- SB suggests using Teflon grease on the countershaft.

Kevin Gallimore

Reply to
axolotl

Geez Don,

A $100 GPS for 'hikers" some latitude, longitude numbers from google earth and....

KeyRist add a cell phone with a camera and you could 'drive' the damn thing from a fricken web page...

Sadly, now days this really isn't 'Rocket Science'...

Most good junior high school students could build the guidence system from crap in their backpacks... and a *good* senior in high school could design the payload... what ya want N,B or C?

--.- Dave (who wishes he was kiding)...

Reply to
Dave August