Pole Spikes

Where can you purchase the spikes that are on power poles that a lineman
climbs?
Reply to
ED ROGERS
Do a search for logging equip, tree climbing, etc. I saw some on a website, can't recall now. I'll post link if I find it.
michael
Reply to
michael
I think they're called climbing irons. Try here:
LBailey
I'm sorry. I misread your message. My workday is getting to me. I thought that you were asking about the things that you strap on your boots to climb poles and trees. Good luck.
Reply to
LBailey
You can buy them from hunting and outdoor gear stores. They are used by Treestand hunters. Mind you they are very destructive to trees. They punch through the bark and allow bugs in if you remove them.
Tree gaffs are the things you strap to your feet.
A general rule is never gaff a tree you want to keep.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Hey Ed,
For either of the following, try a good big electricians supply house, like maybe Graybar.
Called a Hook-head Step Bolt. Try
For the strap-on climbers used on poles/trees without "hooked steps" themselves, try:
Reply to
Brian Lawson
Lineman don't climb no sissy steps, sissy installers use the steps.
Dick
Reply to
D.B.
If you're looking for climbing spurs that mount to the lineman's boots, I can give you a link to someone with a set for sale. Gary Brady Austin, TX
Reply to
Gary Brady
Klein is one of the better manufacturers of climbing tools.
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Bob Swinney
Ed,
If you are talking about pole steps, that are 5/8" diameter and drive in like a lag bolt, generally in a 1/2" pilot hole; I might be able to help you. How many do you need?
Don
ED ROGERS wrote:
Reply to
Don Murray
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (ED ROGERS) wrote in news:26260-3F8773ED-450@storefull- 2178.public.lawson.webtv.net:
Dave W
For the drive steps that hammer into the pole, you want these from Chance Hardware, now owned by Hubbell:
available through your local electrical house.
You'll need to drill a pilot hole, and then they have a threaded shank with a ramp-shaped one-way thread - the steps hammer into place with a hand sledge, and then you turn them to get them straight up. And they unscrew out if you ever need to remove them (put a dowel plug in the hole or you leave bugs an inviting way in).
Use the removable steps if they are within 8' of the ground and you want to keep children and fools off the pole. They have a special double-head nail and backing plate on the pole, and you bring a set of removable steps that hook onto them for use.
If you want climbing gaffs, follow that link for Klein Tools. There are different gaff lengths - short for climbing poles and long for climbing live trees. But be VERY CAREFUL to wear all the safety gear (gloves, hard hat, safety belt and pole strap, long sleeves, long pants, proper boots, etc.) and get an expert to teach you how to climb on gaffs. Using gaffs is counter-intuitive and not easy, with a very high price to be paid for any screw-ups, even small ones. Been there, and came thisclose to falling a few times...
-->--
Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman
Thanks for the help.Went the screw-in type from the sporting goods shop.
Reply to
ED ROGERS
For me, a lot of the pictures of the products are missing or 'broken'.
Good info though.
Martin [in the wilds of a Redwood Forest ] ;-)
Reply to
Eastburn