surface grinder uses

i happened upon an old Brown & Sharpe #2 surface grinder. so what would i use this thing for? i'm not building hydraulic pumps or making surface gauges. should i just sell it for a couple bucks? what do those of you with one use it for?

andy b.

Reply to
hamrdog

Surface grinders are handy for removing tooling marks from flat milled parts. They are also handy for, well, making a ground finish. With jigs, you can sharpen things with them. I use mine a fair amount. I make money with it, grinding valve plates from air compressors. Hasn't paid for itself yet, but the money flow is steady.

Grant Erw> i happened upon an old Brown & Sharpe #2 surface grinder. so what

Reply to
Grant Erwin

And don't forget touching up vise jaws, the vise, finishing parallels, angle & sine plates, making locating pins, step drills, and sharpening end mills. Countersinks too, if you have the jig for them.

michael

Reply to
michael

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

And -- with a couple of sine plates at right angles, you can sharpen HSS toolbits to precise angles. My primary operation for this was to make some HSS Acme threading bits -- since I was cutting a thread a bit larger than the biggest that my insert tooling will handle. (I actually used only one sine plate -- for the side relief angles, while holding the tool in a vise at the proper angle for the sides of the cutter by placing it on a thin 14-1/2 degree plate made with a smaller sine bar and the little shaper. I had to make two of these -- one from a 1/4" HSS toolbit for OD threads for a test piece, and the other, from

3/16" HSS toolbit stock, to be held in a boring bar for internal threading to produce the nut which I was making (for a friend's log splitter.) Of course, the thread was not one of the standard ones, so just buying a replacement nut was out of the question. :-)

So -- *I* would hold onto that surface grinder. If not, and if you are close to me, I would be interested in a larger one than my current one (4"x8") -- if I can make room in my shop for it. The little one is right for my original intended use, but there are things which require a slightly deeper throat -- such as using one of the end-mill sharpening fixtures with larger end mills.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols