Portable soldering iron recommendations?

My trusty Portasol has, apparently, given up the ghost. I don't use it very often, but when I need it (as I did yesterday), I expect it to work. Yeste rday it did not. I filled it with butane, turned it on, and no gas flowed. The on/off switch feels kind of funky, and I suppose that after the 20 or s o years that I've had it, I can't complain.

So, today I went looking at Amazon, ebay, home depot, etc, and it seems lik e there's a pretty huge array, some good reviews and some horrible reviews for each of them.

I don't want to spend a LOT of money, but I don't want to but crap, either. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Reply to
rangerssuck

I've got a couple butane soldering irons. They work ok, but recently I had to do a repair on an alarm panel (fusible link was blown) and didn't have one in the truck. Rather than a 45 minute trip (one way) back to the shop I stopped by a local Radio Shack and found one that operates on a couple AA batteries. Along with it I picked up a small roll of light (thin) rosin core solder. I also bought a pack of batteries to go in it, as I didn't expect them to last long. That soldering iron has seen half a dozen uses in the field now, and at the moment it sitting on my work bench because I just used to to make up some battery packs. It still has the first set of batteries in it. The pack I bought has come in handy, but so far not for that iron.

I would not use it to try and solder a T-tap in 12 ga electrical wire, but it does a great job for fine soldering of 22ga stuff, circuit boards, etc and its great in close quarters were I am not 100% certain of the flammability of the surrounding dust and the glow of a butane iron makes me nervous.

I don't know what its life actually is because I don't normally use it on the bench, but I've had it for over a year. Normally it rides around in my tool pouch in the truck.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

P.S. I think if I needed more heat and used it for longer at a time I would look for one of the old oversized Weller butane irons.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

P.P.S. I guess over a year isn't recently...LOL

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have one of those so-called "cold" soldering irons too - 2 AA batteries -and it is cold all right - have never been able to solder anything with the useless piece of junk.

Reply to
clare

I don't know what a "cold" soldering iron is, and if the one I got said "cold" anywhere on it I would not have bought it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Mine is made (or imported) by "coldheat" in Van Nuys California. It uses 4 AA batteries and it has 2 "carbon" electrodes, separated by a thin insulator. It only heats when the 2 carbons are shorted by the workpiece.

Reply to
clare

I bought one to solder the 12ga wires in my attic when I put up the emergency lighting. It didn't even tin one wire by itself. Grrr.

They're good for anything up to 89 gauge wire and a 1-surface pad. Forget thru pads or anything real.

Luckily, I got a buck more for mine when I sold it than I had paid on eBaaaah.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Mine was a christmans gift from my daughter -

Reply to
clare

I was NOT talking about a "cold" soldering iron. The battery one I got is a regular iron, and it heats the tip when you hold the button slide forward. I still wouldn't use it for a 12 ga solder joint, but it works fine for small stuff. I suspect its around 15-20 watts based on how it performs. I used to have a low power 25 watt corded one back in the days before thin-net was affordable and ethernet was even known about to most people for making up 25 pin LapLink cables. We transferred a lot of data over a parallel port at about 400K with them. Heck, I sold a lot of parallel transfer cables for that matter. It wasn't elegant, but it worked.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

So sell it on eBay and buy one which works. She'll never know the difference. If she does, just tell her you buffed it out. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Reply to
Larry Jaques