Powerfeed for Clausing 1820 Mill?

Hello to all,

I have owned a Clausing 1820 Knee Mill for quite a few years. I am looking for a source or solution to add powerfeed to both the X and Y axis. I have done a search via Google but did not come up with much information. I am hoping the collective wisdom of the members of this group migh be able to help.

Thank for the help.

Joe...

Reply to
Joe

I've never heard of an 1820 - is this for an 8520? If so, I've put a Servo Model 140 PF on mine. It was pretty easy to do and works well.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Thanks Mike for correcting the model number.

Reply to
Joe

I *think*, based on what I have read here in the past, the Servo brand power feeds for the Bridgeports were originally designed for the Clausing mills, and actually happen to need an adaptor plate to fit them to the Bridgeport -- so take one of these, and set the adaptor plate aside, and see how it matches up to the ends of the milling tables where the handwheels attach.

But first -- make sure that someone else reenforces what I say, because I am only going by memory of what I have read, not by personal experience.

Good Luck, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Thank you DoN.

I appreciate the help.

Joe...

Reply to
Joe

DoN.,

I've read that Servo at one time made a PF that would fit the Clausing mill and seem to recall them confirming that when I called for input on my 8520. AIR, they no longer sell those PFs or maybe it was an adapter kit for the standard PF. Google Groups spits up a bit of info on the subject and if anyone wants to peruse it here is one search link to get you started:

The bolt patterns on the model 140 power feed DO match exactly to those on the end of the table for X-axis feed - I can confirm that from personal experience. Dunno about the Y-axis. The bevel gear won't fit the Clausing X-axis lead screw though and is too long anyway, so I trimmed it and used a bushing or sleeve to align it to the lead screw. I keep meaning to write up my approach for HSM or MW but other things always seem to get in the way.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Your understanding of the history is correct, but you need a different bevel gear that what ships for the Bridgeport. You might be able to sleeve the Bridgeport gear to get it to work, but the real Clausing gear has the threads on it for the dial locking nut. Servo no longer has the Clausing parts, but you might be able to talk them out of copies of the drawings. There are a bunch of other pieces specific to the Clausing having to do with the limit switch system, but they would be pretty easy to make.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Why not build your own, I did.

Engineman1

Reply to
engineman1

Can you provide the motor specs that you have on your mill/drill?

HP, motor RPM, gearhead output shaft RPM at full speed?

Also, what's the feedscrew pitch?

Reply to
Wild Bill